Can I get ESA for my anxiety and depression

Options
My ssp has stopped at my work now and Ive heard that i can get ESA but freinds have said that u have to go through hoops to get it, is this true? I have sick notes

I just don't what to do and my boss don't want to help me!
Jess Owen x

Lives: YORKSHIRE
----
Sharing is caring :)

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Jess12 wrote: »
    My ssp has stopped at my work now and Ive heard that i can get ESA but freinds have said that u have to go through hoops to get it, is this true? I have sick notes

Once you are no longer entitled to SSP after 28weeks you should get an SSP 1 form from your employer which says why you are no longer getting SSP. With this form you can make a claim for ESA as you gave a fit note from your GP.

After approx 13 weeks you are assesses for ESA and a decision is made if you are to continue getting ESA and if so which of two groups you will be put into.

https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/overview should help
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,635 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Your employer needs to provide a form SSP1 to show why you are no longer entitled to SSP and you need to get a 'fit note' from your GP. When you have those you can claim ESA. There are no 'hoops' to go through to claim, and it can be done over the phone in most instances.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jess12 wrote: »

Yes you can get ESA for anxiety and depression. Yes you've got to jump through hoops to get it but that isn't particularly difficult. You can get someone else to both apply for it for you and accompany you to the Jobcentre to sign the claim.

You will most likely be placed in the WRAG - Work related activity group - and be expected to look for "some" suitable work.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • TELLIT01
    Options
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    Yes you've got to jump through hoops to get it but that isn't particularly difficult.

Would you care to explain what the hoops are that have to be jumped through to claim ESA? The only requirement to make a claim is a medical certificate (Fit Note) from your GP.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    Are you doing anything about your anxiety/depression because it wont go away like a cold.
  • Idontlikeusernames
    Options
    I have been clinically depressed since I was 13, tried all the medication, it's useless. I have to hold down a full time job with no benefits.

Depression is a horrible illness but it doesn't stop you from being able to work.
  • Spoonhead88
    Spoonhead88 Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been clinically depressed since I was 13, tried all the medication, it's useless. I have to hold down a full time job with no benefits.

Depression is a horrible illness but it doesn't stop you from being able to work.

Yours doesn't stop you but with most things in life different people are affected differently . I've been clinically depressed since I was 7 and some parts of my life I was able to work and some I was not.
    DMP - JAN 2016
    [STRIKE]Estimated DFD - August 2018[/STRIKE] December 2016
    100% Paid
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I have complex anxiety and depression issues, learning difficulties and am awaiting assessment for autism. I cannot currently work but worked up until two years ago however my mental and physical illnesses have worsened significantly in that time. I have a friend who is very badly clinically depressed with regular suicidal thoughts and she cannot work either. Beware- there are a lot on this board who think anxiety and depression are made up illnesses in order to claim benefits...
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • Jess12
    Jess12 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has replied grateful for ur advice and help.

My manger says she is keeping me on but has a temp in till I am well enough to return so where does that leave me if ESA ask me to find work? I can just about have a walk down the road where I live and can't even do myself a cup of tea.

I am on tablets from my doctors and feel im not getting any better.
    Also just found out that I'm still owened 400 of my ssp left that they clearly have not added to my spp payments. So have to speak to them over this! (Payroll).
    Jess Owen x

Lives: YORKSHIRE
    ----
    Sharing is caring :)
  • TELLIT01
    Options
    Are you actually working, even occasionally? If so, you would need to investigate Permitted Work if you claim ESA. ESA don't make you look for work, they may call you in to discuss anything which might be helpful in getting back to work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport