Getting a Grip and Saving towards the mortgage

Options

Comments

• Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you and very good luck to Chumpy Junior. It is nerve racking isn't it. This should be the last of our exam result hell thank goodness !
  • Busy_Mee1
    edited 30 June 2016 at 7:09AM
    Options
    It is over a week since I last posted. I was devastated by the referendum result and to be honest everything else has seemed trivial in comparison. I only hope now that a strong leader emerges to lead us through this mess, but Britain feels like an unpleasant place right now.

Anyway life goes on and if anything trying to secure financial independence becomes even more important in such uncertain times.

So the June update:
    £1150 saved into regular savers
    £204.20 into the O&S account
    Total savings £37,022
    Mortgage balance £257,612.39
    Savings:Mortgage 14.37%

£130 M&S vouchers, £50 Debenhams vouchers and £15 Amazon vouchers in the Christmas stash.
    The O&S account now stands at £504.20 after 3 months - all free money or money we have not missed.
    Eb@y sales have really helped this month - I have sold 24 items and netted £260.90. This was largely all second hand clothes, shoes and handbags, which I would previously have just given away. I think that will be it though for a while, I might put some winter things on again in Autumn.

June has generally felt a lot easier, a shorter month and the pressure of the builders bill gone and our savings totals starting to increase again :T
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Figures are looking great :D

Amazing eB@y sales too, well done.
  • Busy_Mee1
    Options
    It is July and it is freezing. I will be strong and not put the heating on and am working from home wearing the biggest, ugliest cardigan you have ever seen ! I am glad I am going on holiday next week to sunnier climes.
    The bank account patrol was a bit disappointing this morning, no interest or rewards showing yet. I have however sent £47.69 Barclaycard cashback and a £7.20 Tilly Tidy to get the O&S account started this month.
    I have been thinking about my targets ( again) and thinking that they might be ambitious given everything we have on over the next few months ( holiday, graduation, various big birthdays and weekends away), so instead of aiming for £40k into savings by the end of August, I am going to aim for £40k into savings by the end of September and generally look to increase my savings total by at least £1k per month rather than £1300. Having decided this, I actually feel a great sense of relief- which probably shows it is the right thing to do. I don't want to spoil some lovely one off events by scrimping and saving and putting myself under pressure :)
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    I think it is worth revising the targets so you can enjoy the events that are coming up. I was having similar thoughts too about relaxing a little in July & August, there is much going on and I don't want to be stressing instead of enjoying the time planned. We need to live a little too :)
  • Busy_Mee1
    Options
    The bank account patrol was much better this morning - TSB interest has been paid which is 2 x £8.04 and I also did a £2.41 Tilly Tidy. I have already paid £73.38 into the O&S account in just 2 days.
    The big news is that my C@@P switching bonus of £150 has arrived :j This is exactly one month after the switch. I am hoping Mr Mees will arrive around 5 July on the same basis. No sign of the £50.40 TCB yet so I will need to keep an eye on that.
    I have also raised a ticket with TCB because I referred a friend (DS) but it hasn't tracked yet despite him reaching the required amount of cashback on his account.

I am off to the gym in a while and we have friends coming round this evening. We were going to BBQ but the weather is rubbish, so probably going to do a couple of chillis - a Thomasina Miers beef chilli and a veggi butternut squash, sweet potato and chick pea one.
    Have a good weekend:)
  • Busy_Mee1
    edited 2 July 2016 at 12:59PM
    Options
    Sorry ETE our posts crossed. I agree and I do feel like a weight has been lifted a bit now I have taken the pressure off myself ( silly really because it is all self inflicted).
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    And now when you sneak over £1k you get extra satisfaction of going over target!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • Busy_Mee1
    Options
    True Jimmy and actually I am probably going to hit £1300 if both C@@P switching bonuses land:rotfl:
  • try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow busymee1 you have done amazingly well, i think i will put monthly updates on to my page once all added up ,it really does lift you when you see the totals in black and white. I have felf very low the past week or so and sadly let things slip a bit especially on the food front ,i tend to comfort eat when im upset but now feel i must pick myself up and work even harder to knuckle down with such uncertainty in the air it is even more important. Can i ask what is probably a very stupid question but why is the interest going up every month on the tsb account when the 2000 is the limit and i withdraw the interest every month so its not compounded i too got the 2 x £8.04 which was more than the previous months .Thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure