MSE News: Mortgage applicants to undergo IQ tests

Beleaguered mortgage applicants are facing yet another hoop to jump through after it was announced that lenders may be forced to put their IQ to the test as part of stricter affordability checks....
Read the full story:
'Mortgage applicants to undergo IQ tests'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• view
    view Posts: 2,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    "completely foolish"

April Fools? ;-)
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,993 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Another of those barmy pressure group ideas that are newsworthy in the morning but forgotten by lunchtime.
    I think....
  • haras_nosirrah
    haras_nosirrah Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    Clearly an April fool but when you get people saying 'I was missold my mortgage because I didn't understand that interest only meant I was only paying the interest' then you do have to wonder
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • ~Brock~
    ~Brock~ Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Clearly an April fool but when you get people saying 'I was missold my mortgage because I didn't understand that interest only meant I was only paying the interest' then you do have to wonder

+1 from me :T
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I know it's a 1st of the Fourth Dunce thing, but it's what I have been calling for for years. We need a financial driving license.

Without it, you cannot apply for a credit card, but you can have a basic current/deposit account.

Passing Level I means you can get a credit card.

Once you are through Level I, you can sit different papers for different things, e.g. get a mortgage. Car loan is worth a separate paper, too.

Level II means you can trade stocks and shares.

Level III means you can trade more complex stuff, like futures, options, etc., as an investor, not broker.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    I think I would end up out of business :P
    (Thats a joke).
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Its an april fool, but actually a good idea. Should also have a min IQ to be allowed to vote. Can't see Labour agreeing to it though, their support would disappear overnight.
  • Paully232000
    Paully232000 Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    We have to do this when we get our mortgage.

We have been studying hard, with the past papers given to us by our Estate Agent recommended-broker. They are very difficult, be very careful with the answers.
  • zzzt
    zzzt Posts: 407 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Joke or not, it's actually not a completely terrible idea.
  • zzzt
    zzzt Posts: 407 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    jaydeeuk1 wrote: »
    Should also have a min IQ to be allowed to vote. Can't see Labour agreeing to it though, their support would disappear overnight.
    Oh dear, but imagine the controversy when people start to realise who is excluded...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure