Trying to borrow against an inherited property

Options
Hi!

I have a bad credit history but have recently inherited a property. The property is on the market and naturally I have a copy of the will, probate and the deeds to the property. However I have spoken to my bank, Halifax and they are not prepared to offer me a loan. Could anyone advise as to best course of action to get a loanin these circumstances? The property is on the market for £195000.

Thanks

Comments

• ChemistDude
    ChemistDude Posts: 126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you tried other lenders?
  • Teddibiase
    Options
    I have used the money saving expert credit card and loan application 'soft searches' and they suggest I would be refused by lenders.
    That's fair enough, I accept I've gotten myself into a bad credit history situation but it seems strange that a bank wouldn't lend me a small sum, I'm only talking between 4 and 8 thousand pounds.
  • ChemistDude
    ChemistDude Posts: 126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you own the property you live in? Can you remortgage on that?

Alternatively an expensive way would be to take out a mortgage on the property you are selling.

Bridging finance also another option - very expensive (please be careful before using such methods)
  • Teddibiase
    Options
    I had considered applying for a mortgage against the inherited property. I am a council tenant and have the right to buy and also have been given a valuation on my council property which is very reasonable. In fact if the sale of inherited property goes well I should have a decent sum left in the bank. But ultimately while I don't know a great deal about mortgages I think it makes more sense to wait until the property sells rather than incur additional charges via the mortgage. Is it possible to mortgage a small amount against the property for sale, in the region of around £5000? I don't want to take any risks as such regarding borrowing. I'd just like to borrow a relatively small amount against the value of the flat!
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You say you have inherited a property - are you now the legal owner ?

Also, why are you wanting to borrow £5000 ? Depending on the purpose of the loan, there may be other options available. Or, simplest of all, wait until the property is sold and then use the proceeds to fund your purchase.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Whats the rush if its for sale? Why do you need £5k for two or three months?
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    So, you live in a Council house and have now inherited a nice house. You want to sell this house and buy your council property?.

My question has to be, why not just move into the inherited property and give your council house back so that someone else can have the chance of a decent roof above their heads?.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    patman99 wrote: »
    So, you live in a Council house and have now inherited a nice house. You want to sell this house and buy your council property?.

My question has to be, why not just move into the inherited property and give your council house back so that someone else can have the chance of a decent roof above their heads?.

Don't be daft, how can OPs pockets be lined doing it that way? ;)
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    The property they own might not be suitable for the OP.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Teddibiase wrote: »
    Hi!

I have a bad credit history but have recently inherited a property. The property is on the market and naturally I have a copy of the will, probate and the deeds to the property. However I have spoken to my bank, Halifax and they are not prepared to offer me a loan. Could anyone advise as to best course of action to get a loanin these circumstances? The property is on the market for £195000.

Thanks

You wont be able to take out a secure loan for £5000, its too low. If its on the market just wait until it sells.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure