Divorce & bankrupty

Options
What comes first Divorce or bankruptcy?

Separated after 16 yrs..I'm divorcing her. Solicitor has written to me suggesting a financial agreement is not possible because I'm insolvent.

I have equity of £10-15k in property in my sole name, I live there with kids half the week. propert value 95-100k, she rents now.
Me £80k pension , her £120k pension
both insolvent not declared yet however (me £42k, her 28k)
no other assets

I want to retain property as I assume I will struggle to find elsewhere to live and have kids after declaring bankrupt ??

I want to buy out beneficial interest if i can raise funds

Was gonna ask her to walk away from property if I didn't claim on her pension

Help...just wanna try to keep house, have kids half the week and survive..somehow

Comments

• tiggerbodhi
    tiggerbodhi Posts: 410 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Depends how brutal you want to be, you could:

Stop paying the mortgage to build up bankruptcy fees and a deposit for renting, move out and rent then declare bankrupt, considering your pension pot is smaller would seem daft of her to try to claim some of yours.

IMHO the more separate you can make yourself the better in the long run for your personal and financial sanity.
    every time I manage to get one more breath into this body, I will sing a song of thanks to you my brothers, my sisters, my friends, may your sleep be peaceful, and angels sing sweetly in your ears.
  • KeepOnKnitting
    Options
    Do you need to declare yourself bankrupt?

Is there any chance you could agree a nil settlement, that you both just agree that there are no assets worth dividing?
    Save £12k in 2024 #29
    January take lunch to work goal - 13 of 19
  • philnicandevan
    Options
    One thing to bear in mind if your not insolvent and you decided on bankruptcy as an option the court could refuse you

Speak to one of the free debt advice charitys they can advise you on the next steps to take...stepchange CAB national debtline etc
    Not quite a newbie as you think ;);) (the member formally known as philnicandamy!)

FINALLY a qualified CAB debt caseworker 2015..:p
    BSC 58 :D
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have equity of £10-15k in property in my sole name, I live there with kids half the week. propert value 95-100k, she rents now.

I want to retain property as I assume I will struggle to find elsewhere to live and have kids after declaring bankrupt ??

I want to buy out beneficial interest if i can raise funds

Was gonna ask her to walk away from property if I didn't claim on her pension

Hi there,

You need to be very careful when considering bankruptcy if there is a property involved. Your OP is a little confusing I am afraid. If your (soon to be) ex is not named on the property then what is she walking away from? If she has contributed to the property over the years then her Beneficial Interest is determined by the Official Receiver and the property may be at risk unless a third party (not you) is able to successfully purchase her beneficial interest from the OR. And if the property is in joint names then the equity is split 50/50 (unless there is any other legal document that may contradict that?) and the OR will be interested in both halves of the equity if you are both going bankrupt.

But if the property is in your sole name then unfortunately, you cannot buy your own interest back from the OR. Only a third party can do this. When you go bankrupt all of your assets vest to the OR, so if you had a lump sum to buy the interest in the property it would be seized by the OR before you can use it. You can choose to let a third party try and buy your interest back from the OR (at the OR's discretion) but, just remember, that person will then have an interest in your property too. This is very complicated, and I think full, free advice is the best thing to do, before going bankrupt.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure