Is it wise to pay-off my mortgage?

I bought my little terraced house in the north of England in 2006 and I'm now in the very fortunate position to pay off the last of my mortgage (just over £2k). As much as I've been looking forward to this moment it has recently struck me that maybe paying it completely off isn't such a good idea as I don't have any form of credit anywhere else (bar my Halifax Clarity card which I only use on my annual foreign holiday that gets paid off in full on my return). To make sure I keep some form of credit score going should I leave say £1 on my mortgage and stop my monthly repayments? I've scoured the net on this but I can't seem to find it being discussed anywhere!

Any advice gratefully received (I'm a good budget-er but I don't really understand credit etc).

Replies

• Mr.GenerousMr.Generous Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    pay it off, what do you need credit for anyway? Paid mine off 11 years ago, no problem using cards. I impetuously got a car loan after no mortgage and no problem with that. its a great feeling paying it off.
  • A_Frayed_KnotA_Frayed_Knot Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    You would have to get this confirmed, but depending on your age, and future plans, I read somewhere that it may be a good idea to have £1 left on your mortgage. Any plans for renovation, extensions or anything else the theory is its easier to get another loan/up your mortgage. Hopefully someone will be able to confirm or advise better.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • Thanks guys, but a 50/50 split in terms of opinion! Mr.Generous, I really can't wait to be mortgage free but to be honest, only having a pound left on there would feel like that anyway. A Frayed Not, those were my concerns so I'm glad someone else agrees. Hopefully I'll be able to make some sort of informed decision soon!
    Thanks again.
  • LuckyinlifeLuckyinlife Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Forumite
    I cant see there being and issue if you ever need credit agine. say you wanted to move or upgrade the bank would the the fact your 100% house owner and willing to take more credit out aginest it

if youv managed so far without credit youll be fine :]
    Mortgage--- [STRIKE]£67700 March 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65221 April 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64983 July 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64780 sept 15[/STRIKE] Remortgage [STRIKE]£67295 oct 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£66599 Nov 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65878.73 Dec 15[/STRIKE][STRIKE] £64834 1st Jan 16[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Feb 16 £64,511.89[/STRIKE][STRIKE] March 16 £64,056.40[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]April 16 £62550[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]May 16 £62,396.20[/STRIKE] Feb 17 £60.800
    Emergency fund 23k
  • A_Frayed_KnotA_Frayed_Knot Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Forumite
    MooseTig wrote: »
    Thanks guys, but a 50/50 split in terms of opinion! Mr.Generous, I really can't wait to be mortgage free but to be honest, only having a pound left on there would feel like that anyway. A Frayed Not, those were my concerns so I'm glad someone else agrees. Hopefully I'll be able to make some sort of informed decision soon!
    Thanks again.

A lot has to do with your age, earnings and plans. Only then can a decision be made, I always find out all the facts 1st, then double check, then decide.

My mortgage advisor said, when I was remortgaging, that he had never met anyone that asked so many questions :o :rotfl:but did comment that I knew what I was doing :D
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
  • Luckyinlife, I'm self-employed in a rather precarious profession so when I originally took my mortgage out in 2006 (pre-crash) it was a nightmare. Nowadays it'll be even worse. I've never remortgaged as I dropped onto a very low tracker rate when the economy went belly up (one of the few people to gain from it) hence why I've been able to overpay so much. Long term plan is to save money in ISA's now and then aim for a bigger house when I've got a lot more capital to put in. I genuinely think getting credit (despite my good rating) will be very hard.
  • edited 28 March 2016 at 11:41PM
    A_Frayed_KnotA_Frayed_Knot Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 28 March 2016 at 11:41PM
    Just going by what you have stated. I would not completely clear my mortgage.

Please let us know what you decide, would be useful info for future.
  • LuckyinlifeLuckyinlife Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Forumite
    well moosetig seems you are very similar to me

im self employed and had defaults on my credit rating and it was my first house i still got credit with only 1 year of trading accounts to

I think anyone with a nice deposit/equity can get a mortgage/remortgage easy enough because mortgage company's think well look this guy has 20/30/40% to put down if he dont pay well take it away so the risk is very low

I thought to myself if i dont get a mortgage im buying an audi r8 haha lucky enough i got one thro a mortgage adviser at the time and remortgaged 6 months later to my main bank

So if you have good cash deposit and equity i wouldn't worry about getting another one personally

But then agine you could always keep a small balance wouldn't hurt really
    Mortgage--- [STRIKE]£67700 March 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65221 April 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64983 July 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64780 sept 15[/STRIKE] Remortgage [STRIKE]£67295 oct 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£66599 Nov 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65878.73 Dec 15[/STRIKE][STRIKE] £64834 1st Jan 16[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Feb 16 £64,511.89[/STRIKE][STRIKE] March 16 £64,056.40[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]April 16 £62550[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]May 16 £62,396.20[/STRIKE] Feb 17 £60.800
    Emergency fund 23k
  • juststuff123juststuff123 Forumite
    282 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Hi

You don't have to decide straight away. If you leave a trivial sum on the mortgage like the £1 you mentioned, it doesn't have to stay like that forever. See how you feel, if you don't get that psychological hit you need; pay it off. If you feel happy to have a £1 balance keep it until you decide your next step.
    GOAL:- £200k in Savings be March 2024SAVINGS: – £188,516 COMPLETE GOALS - Debt Free, Mortgage Free, £150k Savings Save 12k in 2023 #24 = £5318 / £15,000
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals