Barclays Partner Finance / The Skills Centre

Options
Simon_
Simon_ Posts: 1 Newbie
Hi all

Quite some time ago I started a Electrical training course with The Skills Centre (Wales)
I met with the tutor at my home where he explained the process and how much the course would cost.
Being a naive 18 year old this sounded like a fantastic deal and signed up taking a loan out with Barclays Partner Finance for the sum of Circa £8,000. The tutor had all the paperwork from Barclays all I had to do was read the agreement and sign on the dotted line.
Loan accepted (Paid directly to The Skills Centre) I received my first box of text books and guidance info to complete and a deadline to complete it by.
Part way in to the course work I tried to contact my tutor via his mobile and landline numbers but I could not get through to him. I tried and tried for about a month, even trying to call The Skills Centre but all I was told is that my tutor was on annual leave and he will call me back as soon as he comes back to work.
Another month went by during this time I started to get suspicious so I did a quick google search on the company to find that the director had been put in Jail for gambling all the money away, committing fraud.
As soon as I read this I contacted Barclays but they did not want to hear any of it, an argument broke out on the phone and I got in my old hot headed ways and cancelled the Direct Debit to them.
A short while after I was contacted by CapQuest who had bought my debt from Barclays and told me I needed to set up a payment plan to keep in good stead with them. I did this, only paying £5 a week.
A few months, possibly a year went by after forgetting about the situation with family life and being out of work quite a bit some payments were missed and I had also changed banks in this time (before the switching service was widely used).

After recently moving house and signing the Electoral Register at my new address I received a letter from CapQuest with a payment request of over £10,000.
Is there anything I can do to either get this looked into? I came at a loss when the very bank that loaned the money did not want to know when I had become a victim of fraud.

Thank you for reading this!
Simon.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your issues with the course are separate from the loan.

Deal with the loan first by seeing if you can settle it via some kind of arrangement.

Then dwal with the course quality issues, although that will now be more difficult as so much time has elapsed.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How much of the £8k is left ?

Can you not use what's left to pay off what's owed ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure