Trackmania Turbo / Steam/Uplay / CDKeys.com

esuhlesuhl Forumite
9.4K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite
Trackmania Turbo was released yesterday. I never really got into TM2, but I'm a big fan of the old Trackmania United, so was wondering whether to get the game. Has anyone played it yet?

The Ubisoft site says you can download a free trial, but I can't find it anywhere on their site. Is it still available? Is there anywhere else it can be downloaded? £30 is a lot to spend if I don't like it...
http://shop.ubi.com/store/ubiemea/en_GB/pd/ThemeID.40055100/productID.319807100

I saw that you can get it for £18.99 at cdkeys.com, but I'm not entirely sure whether the site's legit. A bit of searching suggests it's part of the "grey market", which is perfectly legal, but risks the keys being disabled in future... :-/

£18.99 sounds like a fair price for the game, but is it worth the risk?
http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/trackmania-turbo-pc-cd-key-uplay

And what's the whole deal with Steam and Uplay? Apparently you have to install one (or both?) to be able to install TM Turbo. I vaguely understand that they're authentication platforms for games, but how do they work? Do I need Steam or Uplay or both? Do I have a choice? Can't I just install the game like in the old days?

So many questions! Cheers in advance for any tips! :)

Replies

• Johnmcl7Johnmcl7 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    esuhl wrote: »
    Trackmania Turbo was released yesterday. I never really got into TM2, but I'm a big fan of the old Trackmania United, so was wondering whether to get the game. Has anyone played it yet?

I've played the demo on the Xbox One and was disappointed with it as I couldn't find any exciting tracks, Trackmania for me is about the insane tracks although to be fair it perhaps needs some time from the community as the official TM tracks were usually bland.
    The Ubisoft site says you can download a free trial, but I can't find it anywhere on their site. Is it still available? Is there anywhere else it can be downloaded? £30 is a lot to spend if I don't like it...
    http://shop.ubi.com/store/ubiemea/en_GB/pd/ThemeID.40055100/productID.319807100

I've checked the Uplay client and it's not there so I don't know if they're planning to make it available at some point.
    I saw that you can get it for £18.99 at cdkeys.com, but I'm not entirely sure whether the site's legit. A bit of searching suggests it's part of the "grey market", which is perfectly legal, but risks the keys being disabled in future... :-/

£18.99 sounds like a fair price for the game, but is it worth the risk?
    http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/trackmania-turbo-pc-cd-key-uplay

I've bought a few times from cdkeys and would do so again, there is the risk of the key being disabled in the future but it doesn't happen very often, I can only think of a couple of games it's happened to..
    And what's the whole deal with Steam and Uplay? Apparently you have to install one (or both?) to be able to install TM Turbo. I vaguely understand that they're authentication platforms for games, but how do they work? Do I need Steam or Uplay or both? Do I have a choice? Can't I just install the game like in the old days?

Steam and Uplay are rival digital game stores that allow games to be purchased and downloaded but it gets messy with Ubisoft games which are available on both platforms. If you buy the game on Steam, you download the game through the Steam client and launch it as normal from there then when you run it you have to authenticate through Uplay.

If you buy the game through Uplay (as you would from CDkeys as it's a Uplay code rather than a Steam one according to their listing) then you download and launch the game entirely through Uplay.

I've never been Steam's biggest fan but I despise Uplay and after making the mistake of buying a couple of games through that service, I've taken it as an expensive lesson to never use Uplay again. Steam allows you to download the content on one PC and easily transfer it to another, it's quite easy to manage the download as well. With Uplay, I never managed to download a single game - it was showing as maxing out my connection (nothing else could use the internet when it was on) yet it was only downloading a trickle of data. This was a well known issue on the Ubisoft forums but Ubisoft just ignored it so I gave up as at the rate it was going it was going to take a stupid amount of time.

They may have improved since then but I'd recommend at least trying any demo off their system to make sure you're getting a decent speed. I did see the CDkeys deal and I've been thinking the PC version may be the better buy if it's easier to make tracks (I haven't checked what cross compatibility there is) but seeing it was a Uplay key was an immediate deal breaker.

John
  • esuhlesuhl Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Wow! That's incredibly helpful! Thanks for explaining all that.

Just one tiny question...
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    If you buy the game on Steam, you download the game through the Steam client and launch it as normal from there then when you run it you have to authenticate through Uplay.

How does the Uplay authentication work if I get the game through Steam? Do I still need to install the Uplay software on my PC...?

According to Wikipedia, Uplay previously acted as a rootkit, and (from what you're saying too) sounds like a general pain-in-the-wotsits. If that's the only way to get the game, I'll pass.

It's funny... The music industry tried to implement DRM, and after a backlash from frustrated consumers, pretty much gave up. It sounds like the gaming industry has gone the other way... :-/
  • Johnmcl7Johnmcl7 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm fairly sure you need to have Uplay on your machine, I just checked a Ubisoft game on Steam and it fired up the Uplay client before the game launched.

To be fair to the gaming industry, they did also face a similar backlash and have backed off but Ubisoft who have a track record of some of the worst DRM (at one point their single player games needed a constant internet connection and any drop would mean you'd lose all current progress in the level) and irritatingly they've kept on with their Uplay client nonsense.

John
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals