How does contributions-based ESA affect one's tax code?

Options
My old man had to retire through ill-health a couple of years ago. He receives contributions-based ESA at £109.30 per week. He also has an insurance policy that pays him a monthly income (gross) of £2,100.

All in his yearly income is £30,884.64. His tax code for next year was supposedly going to be 1100L, giving him a taxable income of £19,884.64 and thus yearly tax of £3,976.92.

However the tax office have informed him that his personal allowance for the year is due to reduce to 533L, giving him a taxable income of £25,554.64 and thus yearly tax of £5,110.92 - a difference of £1,134 or £94.50 every calendar month.

Is this normal? I've never heard of a social security benefit reducing a person's tax code. It seems that they've reduced his personal allowance by the amount of ESA he receives.

Many thanks for any help.
"Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."

Comments

• Gaz83
    Gaz83 Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I should add - online I've been able to find that the tax code can be reduced if it's a secondary source of income, providing the primary source is a pension or retirement annuity. However it's not a pension or retirement annuity my old man receives - it's an insurance policy that his previous employer took out to cover any employees who had to retire with ill-health (he worked in construction all his days).
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    Contributions based ESA is taxable and cannot be taxed at source so yes it will reduce his tax code on other taxable income in order to pay the correct tax overall.
  • dave030445
    dave030445 Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 25 March 2016 at 8:20PM
    Options
    Hi same as me how did the tax man know you were receiving ESA
  • Londonsu
    Londonsu Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    Options
    dave030445 wrote: »

ALL income whether its benefits, salary, savings or pensions are subject to tax I personally would not be happy if the tax man didn't know who was getting benefit income.

I have had my tax code changed due to JSA I received tax year 2013/2014, I had the money paid to me and I have to pay tax on it I have an underpayment of 83 quid for that year so they have to get it back.

Now of course I would be more happy if the tax man pursued the large corporations for tax as well, but IMO that is a separate matter.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options

They would be informed by DWP.
  • dave030445
    dave030445 Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    They would be informed by DWP.

They are saying they haven't
  • Gaz83
    Gaz83 Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Many thanks to all for your replies.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,841 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    They are saying they haven't

For taxable benefits such as contributions based ESA and JSA, DWP produce P60s at the end of each tax year and P45s when someone ends their claim, in exactly the same way that an employer or pension advisor does. These details all get sent to HMRC as wel las the claimant.,
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    For taxable benefits such as contributions based ESA and JSA, DWP produce P60s at the end of each tax year and P45s when someone ends their claim, in exactly the same way that an employer or pension advisor does. These details all get sent to HMRC as wel las the claimant.,

Dave already has his own thread on this subject. DWP appear to have informed HMRC but they don't appear to have acted on 2013/14 and 2014/15 until now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure