Gaming headset used in landline phone?

Hi everyone

I need to buy a headset to use on a normal landline phone - I've not bought the actual phone yet so thought I'd ask advice first

I've noticed headsets for phones can be quite expensive so I was thinking about buying a gaming headset and plugging that in the phone instead - are the jacks the same in a phone as for a pc or laptop? I don't want to buy one then it doesn't fit!

thanks in advance

MM
I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.

Replies

• SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    YMMV. My phone has a 2.5mm jack that uses a 4 pole plug. My computer has separate 3.5mm mic and earphone sockets. Some phones have a second RJ11 socket for a headset

In other words, you need to look at what connection your phone has got and buy accordingly, be it a headset or possibly a headset and a separate adapter.
  • CycrowCycrow Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    You will need to check the connection used on the headset. Some of them use USB, while others use a standard jack
  • thanks guys I will have a shop around - any ideas where is cheapest to buy these things from?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • JasXJasX Forumite
    4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Basically, there is no such thing as a 'normal' landline phone.

Different phone manufacturers use different standards and connectors etc etc

A good starting point would be to identify the type of connection and manufacturer/model of the proposed phone up front.

Do you 100% need to connect this to a conventional phone? could you use skype connected to a tablet / PC? (advantage being cheaper internatrional calls etc, disadvantage being needing a stable internet connection)
  • Bigphil1474Bigphil1474 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have a gaming head set which is USB wired. I also have one that is wireless, but the receiver is USB. My home phone doesn't have a socket for a head set, but my work phone has a socket - bit like a telephone plug socket but smaller. Your best bet is to buy a phone that comes with a head set, rather than trying to buy them separately. Amazon is a good place to browse.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals