underpayment - clueless

Options
Evening all, new here... first of all I should apologise for my ignorance on this subject, I really am clueless.

Basically, I've had a letter telling me I've underpaid by £1200 odd in 2014-15, and as such they are changing my tax code to 643L to take it back in 2016. they've stated the reason for the underpayment as having two employments at the same time, which I have not.

very roughly my timeline goes,

2012 - Aug 2014 employed PAYE
Left there, 6 weeks training course temporary employed, used an umbrella company and claimed mileage/food as I was advised to
then after that, on to my current employer and been there ever since.

My biggest problem is I've been famously unorganised and I'm missing some p60's and I have no p45 from the 6 weeks temporary.

How do I even go about sorting this mess out? I genuinely can't see how I owe £1200, as I've always paid the going rate tax wise as far as I know.

any help or a way forward would be much appreciated

Comments

• chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have HMRC given a calculation of how this £1200 under-payment was arrived at?

If they have is it split showing figures for each employment?

If not would suggest asking for these details.

What earnings details do you have? Payslips P45s P60 (you should only have 1 P60)
  • ditz2oo5
    Options
    I've got my p45 from my first job, I'm missing everything from the 6 weeks with the umbrella, although I'm going to phone them and see what they can send me duplicate wise. also going to see if they'll send me the p45.

and I have payslips/can get hold of p60 for current.

I've got the letter with the calculations on it, but it makes zero sense, lots of numbers and no real explanation of what's what.

they could literally have told me I owe them £20000 and I wouldn't have a clue how to argue it :mad:
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ditz2oo5 wrote: »
    I've got my p45 from my first job, I'm missing everything from the 6 weeks with the umbrella, although I'm going to phone them and see what they can send me duplicate wise. also going to see if they'll send me the p45.

and I have payslips/can get hold of p60 for current.

I've got the letter with the calculations on it, but it makes zero sense, lots of numbers and no real explanation of what's what.

they could literally have told me I owe them £20000 and I wouldn't have a clue how to argue it :mad:

Figures needed are
    P45 first job Total Gross, Total Tax, Tax code (include X if there) and gross/tax figures this employment if on P45 (may be blank)
    Last payslip first job Gross to date, Tax to date, tax code.

For the moment an estimate of gross pay at umbrella company and net pay.

Current job P60 Gross and Tax figures. These may be shown as two sets of figures marked something like this employment and last employment.
    Last payslip for the tax year Gross to date, Tax to date, tax code, gross previous employment and tax previous employment.

From the letter you do not understand just copy all the details.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure