MSE News: Passengers don't claim for 80% of train delays – here's how you can

Options
The rail regulator has called for train companies to do more to ensure those hit by delays receive refunds...
Read the full story:
'Passengers don't claim for 80% of train delays – here's how you can'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• gavrc
    gavrc Posts: 8,226 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The stats don't reflect that many refunds aren't worth the effort especially if you hav a season ticket. If I'm more than 30 minutes late (with Southern) my compensation is about 80p. 29 minutes late, no seat, loo broken and I get nothing.

gav
  • starsailor123uk
    Options
    It was a fiddle done years ago to offset the reduction in government grants along with fare increases.

Delay/Repay should be for day travellers or infrequent travellers.

Season Tickets should go back to the old x% rebate for poor performance and cancellation. My Toc London Midland has, based on the data released, never achieved its standard PPM or other measures but the current system allows them to be 100% poor as long as they are not 30 mins poor!!!!

ORR is not doing its job by failing to restore the old method!!!
  • Makeandsave
    Makeandsave Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I never knew about this till my last journey, On the way down south i was delayed and missed a connecting train making me over 1 hour late, On the way back signal failure and the train terminated 1 hour away and had to wait to get on other train that was so packed people were allowed in first class making me 61 minutes late. The train driver got to Manchester and said people could claim. Should have seen the queue, I got two forms thinking i would only get it for the one journey. A month later 2 travel vouchers came through the post full refunds. I have used these to book my next trip both single advanced tickets for free . 2 hours in delays for £37.80, Hope it happens again lol.
    Jan Wins: .
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,435 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I think both methods of compensation should exist concurrently and the appropriate one applied for the traveller's situation. If a service is so poor, surely some customers will look at an alternative rather than renewing (the only thing which would have seen them have any compensation.) Also, the old system is an average which would have compensated some customers more than should have been the case based on the journeys they took and some less.

I once bought a 12 month season for a fixed term contract, so no need for a renewal of the same duration between exactly the same stations (as required to get anything back at the time.) Had I known the service was going to be so poor, I'd probably have been better off buying a combination of smaller seasons (more expensive at face value) and getting discounts!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure