Cheap train ticket....train cancelled.

Options
Hi,
I bought an advanced train ticket for a specific train. Got to the station to find the train cancelled. No staff here as its too early. Do I get on to the next available train? Will I get a penality fare?
Thanks

Comments

• magyar
    magyar Posts: 18,909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, if your train is cancelled you'll be entitled to get the next one. Check with the station staff, but you should be fine.
    Says James, in my opinion, there's nothing in this world
    Beats a '52 Vincent and a red headed girl
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    and depending on how late you arrive at your destination you may be able to get a refund of some or all of your fare
  • casperjebba
    Options
    The next train run by the same company is the key though. recently been stung by this.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tuareg wrote: »
    Hi,
    I bought an advanced train ticket for a specific train. Got to the station to find the train cancelled. No staff here as its too early. Do I get on to the next available train? Will I get a penality fare?
    Thanks
    In general you should be able to simply board the next available train. You may also be entitled to Delay Repay compensation.

But without knowing the details, it's not possible to give a comprehensive answer.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Options
    The next train run by the same company is the key though. recently been stung by this.
    Depends what it says under 'Route' on the ticket.

On older style tickets:
    Something like 'AP VTEC Only' = valid only on Virgin Trains East Coast
    Something like 'AP Salisbury' = any train company provided you travel via Salisbury

On new style tickets, this will show but will be spelt out in words rather than the abbreviations above.

Of course, in times of major disruption, you will be advised if "ticket acceptance" has been arranged. This is where train companies (or other transport providers, e.g. buses or trams) agree to accept each other's tickets. I've previously used a 'AP VTEC Only' ticket on Great Northern, VTEC, CrossCountry and ScotRail during a period of "ticket acceptance" after major disruption on the East Coast Main Line.
  • alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I booked Skipton to Edinburgh via Carlisle on 10th Feb on Virgin Trains East Coast. Today I've just discovered that there have been problems on the Appleby-Carlisle section since January which means a bus service for that part and an increase from 3 to 5 hours in my travel time each way as the booking didn't mention this delay.

What are my options? I'm assuming I can claim a full refund (who from - Virgin or Northern Rail?) but I'd rather have a different ticket via a quicker route.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    alanrowell wrote: »
    I booked Skipton to Edinburgh via Carlisle on 10th Feb on Virgin Trains East Coast. Today I've just discovered that there have been problems on the Appleby-Carlisle section since January which means a bus service for that part and an increase from 3 to 5 hours in my travel time each way as the booking didn't mention this delay.

What are my options? I'm assuming I can claim a full refund (who from - Virgin or Northern Rail?) but I'd rather have a different ticket via a quicker route.

As somebody with over 5000 posts in 12 years on the forum I think it would be reasonable to assume you should be aware of the etiquette of not hijacking threads with a totally different question. I think you should delete your post (and I'll do the same) and start your own thread.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Options
    he
    alanrowell wrote: »

There is no ticket acceptance in place on other train companies. The admendment is considered a planned timetable change, so you cannot claim Delay Repay either.

However, what route you could take depends on the tickets you hold. Can you tell us the 'Route' printed on the ticket and which trains you have a Reservation for (and which ones you are travelling on unreserved).
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Options
    Without full details, in both cases, neither can be comprehensively answered.
  • martinbuckley
    martinbuckley Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hey OP - Fancy telling us what you did and how it turned out?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure