MSE News: Price of stamps rising again – beat the hike

Royal Mail is to increase the price of stamps – but you've still time to beat the hike by buying now...
Read the full story:
'Price of stamps rising again – beat the hike'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Bought some books of stamps at Costco voucher price maybe ten years ago. At current usage rate, they will last till I die.
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Even if I was buying 100 stamps for sending out wedding invitations in the next year, I don't think I would take the risk of misplacing £50 worth of stamps for the sake of saving a quid!

If buying for Christmas cards, you could get more in savings interest in the next 9 months than you would save by buying them now. They're only going up by 1 bl00dy pence!

Beat the 'hike'? Again with the misappropriation of the word 'hike'! Thesaurus time for MSE editorial team :p
  • Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Pincher wrote: »
    Bought some books of stamps at Costco voucher price maybe ten years ago. At current usage rate, they will last till I die.

Last time I posted anything at all via Royal Mail, was about 4 years ago when both my passport and driving licence expired within a couple of months of each other. I stopped sending Xmas cards and birthday cards long ago. I can effectively achieve 99.9 percent of any correspondence via email.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 17 March 2016 at 8:55PM
    Price increase won't worry me.

Still working my way through my free stamps I got when I used to do the Royal Mail letter surveys.

And for god sake it's 1p. You could make about £1.80 in interest in a 123 account over a year on the price of 100 stamps. 2p per stamp saved and buy them when you need them.

If you are a business you can get off of Royal Mail better postage rates than the 64p, if you post in bulk.

The hype in the article by your MSE reporter, are you taking interns from the Daily Mail because this usually how they write 'sensational' news reports.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • jnm21
    jnm21 Posts: 853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    VT82 wrote: »
    Even if I was buying 100 stamps for sending out wedding invitations in the next year, I don't think I would take the risk of misplacing £50 worth of stamps for the sake of saving a quid!

If buying for Christmas cards, you could get more in savings interest in the next 9 months than you would save by buying them now. They're only going up by 1 bl00dy pence!

Beat the 'hike'? Again with the misappropriation of the word 'hike'! Thesaurus time for MSE editorial team :p
    Very well said. You covered everything I wanted to say, bar one: check if your house insurance covers them & perhaps buy them a few miles from home (you don't want some unscrupulous person following the guy who bought 100 stamps home to rob his house).
    Certain OTT members have caused me to add this disclaimer: all advice given is free of charge & as such should be taken to be IIRC (as I don't spend hours researching all answers :eek: )!
  • winteremma
    winteremma Posts: 911 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    I won't be buying any of these to save a penny!!! The only time I've ever done this is when they were nearly doubling in price a few years ago and I'm still working my way through them.
    April wins - airwick linen set
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've still got the book of 2000 that I bought three years ago in all the rush to avoid the hike then.

Oh, wait. I haven't. Nobody uses stamps anymore....
  • Kernow666
    Kernow666 Posts: 3,480 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    will be panic buying on the streets next week , like black Friday all over again with people clambering to buy books of large letter stamps :)
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
  • System
    System Posts: 178,086 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    My late gramdmother used to buy a book of stamps, use 1 or 2, then lose it and repeat.

When my parents cleared her house out after she died - in Feb 2004, they found endless books and sheets of stamps.

My mum gathered them all up and she was wise to use any stamps with a price on them first. She visited the PO and bought the number of stamps of the difference of the stamp and then price of 1st Say she found 40 stamps with a value of 10p less than the cost of 1st, she bought £4 of 10p stamps.

Still has loads left. I posted a card ion Friday with the dog in the bath - saves ones with cars and dogs for those that have them http://www.collectgbstamps.co.uk/explore/issues/?issue=266
  • google5442
    google5442 Posts: 13 Forumite
    jnm21 wrote: »
    Very well said. You covered everything I wanted to say, bar one: check if your house insurance covers them & perhaps buy them a few miles from home (you don't want some unscrupulous person following the guy who bought 100 stamps home to rob his house).

Who on earth is going to steal stamps?? You can't use them for anything except posting letters!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure