Pre Owned - PS4 Device Locked

2»

Comments

• Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    RichL74 wrote: »
    Surely all that is needed is pull the hard drive out, plug it back in again and the PS4 will reinitialise itself again wiping everything on the hard drive so you can set it up as a new console?

No, the PS4 hardware itself banned using a unique hardware identifier - if replacing the hard drive (which is cheap and easy to do) overrode the ban then the system would be pointless.

John
  • RichL74
    RichL74 Posts: 938
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I only deal with legit stuff you see, thats where I've obviously made the mistake.

I know that once you take out your hard drive and even plug the same one back in it'll wipe any data on that hard drive, I was not aware of serial number bans.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,323
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I suppose Sony do it to stop dodgy people having their account banned, then just re-opening a new account with different details - much harder to get around an equipment ban. Previous owner must have been up to something very dodgy.
    Op, did you buy it with a credit card? If so then it might be worth speaking to them about your consumer rights as well, if you don't get anywhere with the shop. You might get better advice if you give us the full story though.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    RichL74 wrote: »
    I only deal with legit stuff you see, thats where I've obviously made the mistake.

I know that once you take out your hard drive and even plug the same one back in it'll wipe any data on that hard drive, I was not aware of serial number bans.

I've never dealt with banned hardware, modded my consoles nor ever had an account or console banned but I've seen plenty of discussion on it on various gaming forums. It's rare for any system (including PC software/hardware) to use the hard drive as an identifier because it's one of the easiest and cheapest components to replace so instead systems usually try and tie themselves to the motherboard since it's usually the most expensive and difficult part to replace.
    I suppose Sony do it to stop dodgy people having their account banned, then just re-opening a new account with different details - much harder to get around an equipment ban. Previous owner must have been up to something very dodgy.

That's true, console bans were usually handed out in the 360 era for modded consoles which was fairly widespread. I can't find much information on reasons for banning a console aside from credit card chargebacks or fraudulent use of the account.

John
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    It's also likely if the courts have become involved (as could happen in a finance dispute) then Sony could in theory block the console at the request of law enforcement. I personally don't think they'd do it but it's entirely possible that they may do so - just seems somewhat brutal in approach to something over a finance agreement.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • RichL74
    RichL74 Posts: 938
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    I've never dealt with banned hardware, modded my consoles nor ever had an account or console banned but I've seen plenty of discussion on it on various gaming forums. It's rare for any system (including PC software/hardware) to use the hard drive as an identifier because it's one of the easiest and cheapest components to replace so instead systems usually try and tie themselves to the motherboard since it's usually the most expensive and difficult part to replace.

John

Sorry, dont get me wrong, I was accusing you of dealing in the dark arts!!
  • 00nnewbe
    00nnewbe Posts: 15 Forumite
    HI All,

thank you all for the advice,

The outcome was I was provided with a new PS4 that worked fine:-

for future reference this is what I learned,

1. PS4 have a serial number, linked to any Account that accesses the device - should a disreputable person decide to try and con PS4 and rescind the payment of a game whilst still keeping the download they don't close the account, they freeze the whole device via the serial number reference.

2. this clearly isn't checked by second hand retailers because you only find this out half an hour into using the device, once you've set up a new account, tried to log into PS online and download a game.

3. Play station are very wary of unlocking accounts. - funnily enough the account was settled just as I gave back the 1st locked PS4 to the second hand store, PS4 unlocked the device, but only after a Smarmy email suggesting if there is a hint of deception again, the device will be fozen again ( like i was the perpertrator! - no Apologies for the inconveniece, etc etc.)

4. I will never cut corner's buying second hand consoles again - they are so technologically advanced, that they are more like social networks with a computer attached. no longer a box you put a game into that pops up on a screen... it isn't worth the hassle - i will pay full whack next time.

5. This second hand store had a policy that if you can show proof of purchase, within 6 month the onus is on them to proof it wasn't broken when you bought it.
    tough luck on them for all the deviant second hand sellers, but be prepared to be treated like a lying, dirt on the bottom of your shoe individual if you bring this issue to a second hand retailer. its quite confrontational and exhausting.
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    There's a difference between different types of retailers - the reputable ones will know how to get hold of the person who traded it in, the fly by nighters on the other hand don't follow proper procedure. (Licenses can easily be lost over that sort of thing, if they were gained in the first place!)

The reputable ones will also have a good working relationship with Sony & Microsoft in order to avoid that sort of thing happening in the first place. They also work with the police & insurers to ensure that most of those degenerates are caught before it gets to a customer's hand & have the paper trail to back it up. (Incidentally, this is why you keep serial numbers - soon as that's reported to police & insurance companies it flags up on things like Check Mend which all reputable retailers use these days!)

Glad you got it sorted out, I'm not going to defend Sony, they're known to be nippy with people, reality is on that front unless you're careless you shouldn't need to deal with them again.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • ineed
    ineed Posts: 4,432
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm really glad you got a good outcome :).
    I SUPPORT CAT RESCUE! Visit Cat Chat to support cat rescue too.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind. ~Malayan Proverb
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much ~ Oscar Wilde
    No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness ~ Aristotle
  • Could you not just buy a 2nd hand mother from a broken PS4 (obv if it not the mobo broken on the broken PS40....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure