Self employed & PAYE work

Options
I am currently self employed and have also recently started a part time job. I was under the impression that I would simply put my part time earnings total into my tax return form as part of the "other earnings" section and then that would be counted in addition to my net profit for calculating the amount of tax I will owe.

However I have noticed on my part time pay slip that there are PAYE deductions happening. Is this normal as it seems to me like I will now end up being taxed once for PAYE and then get hit a second time when I pay my yearly tax bill with this new amount included?

Has my part time employer made a mistake somewhere, do people in my situation simply get taxed twice for the second job or is it the revenue service simply scamming money off me that I then have to wait an age for to get a tax rebate on?

Comments

• Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    What tax code is being used?

Did you fill out a starter checklist when your employment started? It's similar to the old P46.

You should be including the pay and tax details on the employment section of your tax return so that any tax already deducted at source is deducted from your final bill.
  • feygan
    feygan Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    A 500T code is what shows on the statement each month, this was the same when I started though I was not actually getting any deductions until last month which made me wonder.

No starter checklist though I was not aware of it and my employer mentioned nothing to me either.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    500T suggests a split tax code for some reason. Do you have any other income sources eg pension?

If only employment and self employment you should call HMRC about the tax code.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure