How to stop accidental purchases Xbox 360 Live Gold

I am hoping somebody can help me with what I thought would be an easy thing to solve but is proving impossible!

My kids (and me if I am honest ) like to play PVZ but you need Live Gold membership to do this. I have set this up on my gamer tag with my debit card. Anyone wanting to play PVZ has to play as me. This is the problem, there seems no way to password protect purchases. I have even changed my account to a kids account in settings, but I was still able to make purchases. I can't seem to take my card details off either, without having to replace it with another payment method.

Only thing I can think of is to pay for Xbox Gold with a prepaid gift card.

Can anyone help please as it is driving me mad!

Replies

• donnajunkiedonnajunkie Forumite
    32.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    There will be more clued up people than me around but personally I would not give them my card details. You can buy cards with credit on them from games store as well as other stores for Xbox live. That gives you more control over what you spend.
  • Thanks Donna. I had a month free, which meant I had to put card details in. However, given this means the kids could potentially empty my bank account it doesn't seem like a good deal.
  • Johnmcl7Johnmcl7 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I agree with Donna, I would use prepaid cards for Gold and for any credit to buy items on the Microsoft store. That way at worst you'd lose a small amount of credit rather than a potentially massive bill as is possible with having your card details on your account.

Although it's only me that uses my consoles I only use prepaid credit for all of them, there's the bonus you can normally get the credit/Gold for a bit less and if the account does get hacked or anything else bad then all that's at risk is a bit of credit. I try to keep my card details in as few places as possible as unfortunately you just don't know who might get hacked into.

John
  • Take your card details off the system immediately!!!!

Seriously, I can't even begin to tell you how foolish it is to not follow that advice up top! Once you've done that there's no way for the purchase to go through other than if you add funds to the account by buying the top ups - so no need to worry about it.

To remove your card details you'll need to go to Xbox.com & go to account details, payment & billing then manage payment options. If you wish to continue your Xbox Live subscription you can buy the prepaid cards in all good games retailers - the better ones will have the 3 month variety as well.

I've never had to but I'd also assume enabling the parental controls would allow you to require the input of a "pin" (4 button combination) for any purchases as well.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • donnajunkiedonnajunkie Forumite
    32.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    hotfrog wrote: »
    Thanks Donna. I had a month free, which meant I had to put card details in. However, given this means the kids could potentially empty my bank account it doesn't seem like a good deal.

Well things must have changed since I got a 360 years ago. I got the free month and never gave them card details.
  • Thank you all - will remove my card and go to the prepaid option.

Bluenoseam you would think that the child settings would password protect purchases wouldn't you? They don't - I can stop the kids from playing games of specific ratings, watching films, friending people, talking to people, even using the internet, but making purchases on my debit card apparently is fine!

I had stupidly assumed it would be like my family setting on my ipad which means my kids can't download anything (even free apps) without it alerting me and needing me to put in a password.
  • TigsteroonieTigsteroonie Forumite
    24.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    hotfrog wrote: »
    Bluenoseam you would think that the child settings would password protect purchases wouldn't you? They don't - I can stop the kids from playing games of specific ratings, watching films, friending people, talking to people, even using the internet, but making purchases on my debit card apparently is fine!

But then would the Daily Mail be (and MSE for that matter!) if it didn't have stories like "Boy, 11, racks up £1000 up £1,000 bill on mother's debit card playing XBox online" :D
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ask An Expert: Rewind

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals