Debt Consolidation Loan Help

Hi all,

Apologies for what is probably a very silly question but I've recently been approved for a debt consolidation loan and have received cheques in the post for each of the debts I would like to pay off. The cheques are made out to each credit company followed by my name (for example on the Pay line it says "BarclayCard re Jane Doe").
One of the debts I want to pay off is my overdraft on my account(cheque reads "Barclays Re Jessica Mulligan"). My question is can I take these cheques and pay them into my account and then use the money to pay off the credit cards with my debit card?
I know it's possible to pay my credit cards off using a bank giro pay slip, however all of my accounts are paperless so I don't get copies of my statements anymore. Also, this won't work for my overdraft.

Any advice would be much appreciated :-)

Comments

• Gaz83
    Gaz83 Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I wouldn't have thought so, no. I would expect they'd need to be given to the creditor named. Otherwise what's to stop you paying them into your account and not forwarding the money on?
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Quest1 wrote: »
    however all of my accounts are paperless so I don't get copies of my statements anymore.

Doesn't stop you from sending the cheques directly to the companies concerned with an accompanying letter requesting closure of the accounts. .
  • Thanks for this advice. I've drafted letters for the accounts that I would like to close. I am going to keep one card open and use it for petrol money (something small that I can easily pay every month) in the hope of improve my credit rating.
    I'm going to go to my local branch of Barclays to see what to do about the overdraft cheque, hopefully they can advise me on where I should send it/what the best course of action is.

Many thanks for your help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport