Riddle me this TFL scenario..

2-4 travelcard + £2.55 on oyster
Attempt barrier at Victoria national rail before 7pm - red light
Try again - red light
Top up £10
Attempt barrier - green light and travel to zone 4
Journey cost £2.50 (zone 1 extension)
Final Oyster balance: £10.05

Why didn't Victoria let me though the first time for the extension when I had more than enough?

Comments

• Would it be because Victoria is in Zone 1 and your travel card was Zone 2-4? Does the £2-55 credit automatically couple to the travel card. Oyster sometimes has very strange actions.
  • chuckley
    chuckley Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    it always has before! Sometimes i have even have the exact extension fee on there.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Can you upload a copy of the journey history?

You're best asking MikeWh who runs http://www.oyster-rail.org.uk/, either on his site or on the RailUK forum: http://www.railforums.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=105

I would, however, advise considering enabling auto top-up as well as checking your journey history regularly.

By the way, are you aware that you can be charged a mixed mode 'premium' for some journeys involving Zone 1?

And the gateline at Platforms 13/14 at Victoria can also be a potential source of problems!
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Which platform at Victoria?

Now that Gatwick is 'Oyster accessible' things have changed recently.
  • patanne
    patanne Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    chuckley wrote: »
    2-4 travelcard + £2.55 on oyster
    Why didn't Victoria let me though the first time for the extension when I had more than enough?

Solely because you live in money grabbing London. Your choice - live with it or move.
  • Bollotom
    Bollotom Posts: 957 Forumite
    First Post
    patanne wrote: »
    Solely because you live in money grabbing London. Your choice - live with it or move.

Quite amusing. You may want to go revisit your thought processes on this rather oblique idea. Emptying London doesn't seem to be quite on everyones'' bucket list judging by the number of people using transportation services. :cool:
  • chuckley
    chuckley Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    sorry my online acc isn't working atm. I guess they're updating summat?!

But when I checked it again it confirmed my OP. No mixed mode as previous journey was a bus and it was gates 1-7 so no issue there regarding gatwick.

My only thought is the cheapest fare from vic to say battersea park is £2.70 peak time and the barrier didn't acknowledge my travelcard as I only had 2.55. Even though If I'd have travelled there I' wouldve been charged £2.50 max.

or

Vic 1-7 gatelines work differently to southern? like how they've rigged Waterloo to not let you out if you haven't tapped in regardless if you have enough to cover the short term 'full fare penalty'.

or

the gates were just dodgy at 5 minutes to 7... (although this is unlikely).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure