Where to buy Gluten free food

Where do I buy Gluten free food, I always crave for bread roles. I am told to get part baked gluten free roles, not sure if these taste the same. Any suggestion, advice most appreciated especially if you are o a Gluten free diet and what you find as best alternative.

thanks in anticipation,
seb

Comments

• Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    All the big supermarkets stock a range of gluten free stuff (sometimes in a section labelled "free from").

Some brands of bread products - Genius, UDI, Warburtons Newburn bakehouse. Pricey, when compared with ordinary breads, but worth a try. Also you can get supermarket own brand versions.

If you like cakes, scones etc, I suggest Doves Farm GF flour to make your own. Readymade cakes are very expensive.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • Waitrose have a decent range. We tend to throw as many in the freezer as we can whenever they're reduced (which is quite often, as they obviously have limited appeal), as they are quite pricey.

They taste a lot better than they did 10 years ago, when they were mostly made from polystyrene and pencil sharpenings.
  • I find the larger tescos and asda tend to have a good selection of gluten free stuff.

Poundland and 99p store often have gluten free goodies.
  • Asda has a great GF range, does really nice sausages GF for example, which we actually buy even though I'm not on low fodmap any more because they're tasty.

The genius bread loaves are fairly horrible. I'd not bother tbh. It toasts "OK" but as bread, it's both dry but then once introduced to your saliva takes on the consistency of wallpaper paste.. Avoid it.

They do a nice coconut macaron though... I go through a lot of those.

Disclosure; I've got a hiatus hernia and suffer from very bad acid reflux, trying all kinds of diets in an attempt to avoid surgery.. Struggle with too much white rice or bread but am not celiac...
    Hello There. :beer:
  • DRFC1879
    DRFC1879 Posts: 101 Forumite
    Goodfellas Gluten Free pizza is excellent. It's in Asda and Tesco AFAIK.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Don't know if its any help but Aunt Bessies frozen roast potatoes are GF.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Lidl do a good range of gf bread
  • Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I find Morrisons and Sainsbury's ranges the best. Although Asda have just started improving theirs. I love the Genius bread.

If you are diagnosed as coeliac you can get them on prescription and if you buy a prepayment prescription card, then it doesn't work out too expensive.

My favourite rolls are the DS ciabatta style ones. They do a white and granary varieties and they are part baked.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Fmess wrote: »
    I find Morrisons and Sainsbury's ranges the best. Although Asda have just started improving theirs. I love the Genius bread.

If you are diagnosed as coeliac you can get them on prescription and if you buy a prepayment prescription card, then it doesn't work out too expensive.

My favourite rolls are the DS ciabatta style ones. They do a white and granary varieties and they are part baked.

Many health authorities no longer prescribe gluten free products on prescription so it is always worth checking your local prescribing authority.

Also look out for the new range of goodies in Marks and Spencer , although it is proving difficult to track down. Apple pies, beef or chicken pies, trifle , spam Bol and lots more.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • schmouse
    schmouse Posts: 43 Forumite
    I find that you cannot beat Marks and Spencer's GF range. Their breads are the best I have tasted, especially the white boule, and focaccia bread. They also do terrific GF cakes. You can also buy other things like pies, fish cakes, breaded fish, puddings, pizza.

I have tried other ranges - recently bought some GF cakes from Tesco's which were inedible as was their small brown loaf. Both went in the bin. Have also had the same experience with other brands. Personally I'd rather pay slightly more (in some cases the same) and stick with M & S.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure