Ps vr

The ps4 VR unit is b far the cheapest simplest because I hate PCs and everything crashing and going wrong all the time.

Is it worth getting ps VR head set if I already have a ps4?

Do you just buy the headset, or is there anything else you need to buy?
Nothing has been fixed since 2008, it was just pushed into the future

Replies

• If you want my god's honest opinion on it I'm going to strongly advise against being an early adopter here. This has real potential to be another one of those things which on paper sounds great but in reality has really bad implementation. I am well aware that the industry is currently screaming that it's going to be the biggest thing in years, but let's be fair that's like asking Tony the Tiger's opinion on Frosties.

I'd advise waiting a while, Playstation have form for it on PS4 so far - Playstation Camera, Playstation TV - wait a while & see how it goes, then you avoid having a £300 paperweight.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • bluenoseam wrote: »
    If you want my god's honest opinion on it I'm going to strongly advise against being an early adopter here. This has real potential to be another one of those things which on paper sounds great but in reality has really bad implementation. I am well aware that the industry is currently screaming that it's going to be the biggest thing in years, but let's be fair that's like asking Tony the Tiger's opinion on Frosties.

Huh? We've been able to try VR out first-hand for literally years. Didn't you get your hands on either of the Rift developer kits?

We know what VR does, how it impacts games, and even already have great support in existing software (personally, I found MinecRift worked surprisingly well). We also know that it's simply an extra peripheral for enhancing many games, much like some games are enhanced by a joystick. Whether or not that makes it worth the money the commercial headsets are releasing at is entirely consumer-specific.

(For me, it's not. It's a wonderful experience, just like a Rhino H.O.T.A.S. setup can be, but for me personally, I don't want to spend my money on either of those accessories at their current prices.)

Or were you talking specifically about Sony's VR implementation? In which case, I'm not sure which "industry" thinks that has the most potential considering its inferior hardware and locked-down software, but I tentatively agree with you that it won't do too well.
    AG47 wrote:
    The ps4 VR unit is b far the cheapest simplest because I hate PCs and everything crashing and going wrong all the time.

Is it worth getting ps VR head set if I already have a ps4?

Ummm... at the risk of sounding slightly sarcastic, do you really think that lots of end-users have been messing around with Sony VR headsets in the wild, but are simply refusing to publish their impressions on the Internet, and are just loitering around the MSE forum for someone to ask what they think? :p

All we can do is make educated guesses based on what's been revealed so far, under controlled conditions, without final hardware (we hope).

Remember, the PS4 itself is a relatively slow piece of hardware that cannot run modern games with good levels of detail at 1080P60. Running games in VR 3D takes a lot more processor power than running games in 2D - which is a significant problem for the PS4, as its CPU is probably the weakest part of its entire hardware. We might expect low minimum frames-per-second (which is not what you want in VR) and plenty of stuttering (which, again, is something crucial to avoid in VR).

The PSVR headset is supposed to have additional processing power from extra hardware under the hood (so to speak), and using reprojection technology so that games are always "120FPS". This isn't native 120FPS, but a blending of frames. So games might run at 60FPS native/120FPS reprojected, much like some PS4 games are 900P native/1080P upscaled. In practice, frame-doubling is not an effective replacement for native frames-per-second in 2D displays, and the PSVR headsets haven't impressed with their technology yet, but perhaps we will be surprised by the technology in future. Maybe.

The resolution of the headset screen (which is a single screen, as opposed to two dedicated screens in the Rift or Vive) is the lowest of the upcoming headsets, and this is apparently easily noticeable by users. The "screen-door effect" is present.

In hardware terms it's definitely in third place, but it's not as nightmarish as we might have predicted - it's not completely out of the race yet.

But software is another matter. You're on a locked platform, and will only be able to use the games and applications Sony allows. Forget the opportunity to bring older games like Bioshock to a whole new level in VR (which, by the way, works surprisingly well). You'll get what you're given, and even if you forget how dedicated Sony was to 3D on the PS3 just a few years ago, you'll still be spending hundreds on hardware where the software support simply doesn't exist yet, and even if it does in future, Sony can pull the plug again (like OtherOS, or the Vita).

To answer your other question about what you need to buy, some titles just use the DS4 controller, so you should be OK with just your PS4 and the headset, but you'll need Move controllers for some other games. And I wouldn't be surprised if there's some unconvincing reason you'll need to be tethered to PSPlus (which would, of course, then make PSVR the most expensive VR option).

But if you don't have any specific games or experiences you're interested in, why bother anyway?
    Q: What kind of discussions aren't allowed?
    A: It goes without saying that this site's about MoneySaving.

Q: Why are some Board Guides sometimes unpleasant?
    A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to [email protected].
  • AG47AG47 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Do we know price or release dates yet?
    Nothing has been fixed since 2008, it was just pushed into the future
  • Johnmcl7Johnmcl7 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    AG47 wrote: »
    Do we know price or release dates yet?

I don't think there's been anything official released by Sony, retailer leaks have suggested Autumn this year and leaked prices have varied.

There's not been much I've seen that's caught my eye for VR although I'm keen on PS VR since they're remastering Rez as their flagship VR title - that's one of my all time favourite games and it's well suited for VR particularly an underpowered system like PS VR. That said bearing mind it's going to have additional co-processing hardware that Occulus/Rift don't have, that means it could end up quite pricey or using inferior parts.

John
  • CycrowCycrow Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Personlly i found the sony vr to be ok, but was fairly limited with the software that was available. Overall the rift was better, but then i have used the rift alot more than the Morpheus.

The main problem would be how it works on the cutting edge games due to the limited processing power available on the PS4, and how many games will actually support it.

Theres been alot of support so far for the rift and steam vr
  • Bigphil1474Bigphil1474 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've been following the headset a while now, and I think it looks great. However, at a projected cost of over £300, it's going to need a lot of titles that support it for me to spend that much. Look at steering wheels for example. I got a cheap decent enough wheel for £75, but if you want all singing/dancing wheels you'd spend over £200. If it's worth it to you then fine, but I've only had one game where I use the wheel much so it wasn't worth spending a fortune on it, although it did make a big difference to the enjoyment of my game.
    Op, I think you are confused into think the headset would replace the need for a PS4 - my understanding is that it is a periphal for use with the PS4, and I could be wrong, but I don't think it has sound function, so you'd still need your headset for coms, and tv for sound.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Last week's energy Q&A with MSE experts

MSE Forum

Ninja Kitchen air fryer & grill £175

Normally £250. Excl Northern Ireland

MSE Deals