Tube prices help please

Options
Good afternoon.
In March my 2 sons and I are going to Wembley to a football match. We have been advised to park at Rickmansworth ( travelling from East Midlands) and go to Wembley by tube.

I have a contactless debit card, my son (18) does not. I understand my 8 yr old does not need a ticket?

How much will a return ticket cost?
Does my eldest need an Oyster card?

Many thanks
Slimming world new starter 2/1/17
:D:D:DWeight loss so far 5 stone 8 lbs

:rotfl:Loss needed to get to target NONE!!! TARGET MEMBER :D

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's half the price using an Oyster card. It's 2 x £1.80 by Oyster, or 2x£4.90 if you just bought a paper ticket. It's the same price for contactless.

Here's how you find out fares - https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/fares/single-fare-finder

Yes, you need an oyster card for your 18 year old if you don't want to pay the over-the-top paper card cost. You can buy an Oyster for £5 a most stations (Personally, I drive to Stanmore to get to Wembley). You can get this £5 refunded on your way home though - and they'll refund any money left on the card.

Your 8 year old technically needs a 5-10 year old card to go free - https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/travel-for-under-18s/zip-oyster-photocards?intcmp=25258

BUT, i've not got one for my 6 year old and we've been on the tube a good few times. You just ask to get them put through the wider gates.
  • shiprob195
    Options
    Thank you for your prompt and comprehensive reply. I have been searching the TFL website for a couple of hours.
    Slimming world new starter 2/1/17
    :D:D:DWeight loss so far 5 stone 8 lbs

:rotfl:Loss needed to get to target NONE!!! TARGET MEMBER :D
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 February 2016 at 5:38PM
    Options
    I'm pretty sure 5-10 YOs travel free if accompanied by an adult. They need the zip card to travel solo

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/pr50e2210a0400020111e6a4beefae08.aspx
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    dzug1 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure 5-10 YOs travel free if accompanied by an adult. They need the zip card to travel solo

!!!!!!! You'd need a visit from Social Services if your going to let a 5 year old on the tube alone.... not even sure if a 10 year old should be on a tube alone either.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 February 2016 at 6:15PM
    Options
    !!!!!!! You'd need a visit from Social Services if your going to let a 5 year old on the tube alone.... not even sure if a 10 year old should be on a tube alone either.

They would normally be with other children travelling to/from school

Agree it's dubious - especially at the lower end - but it happens
  • chunkytfg
    Options
    Come down the M40, park at Hillingdon station £6.30 midweek then get the tube to wembley from there. much easier than going round the M25 a bit and walking the miles from Rickmansworth car park to the station.
    Those who risk nothing, Do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing
    MFW #63 £0/£500
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, you need an oyster card for your 18 year old if you don't want to pay the over-the-top paper card cost. You can buy an Oyster for £5 a most stations (Personally, I drive to Stanmore to get to Wembley). You can get this £5 refunded on your way home though - and they'll refund any money left on the card.
    No you can't. You can't surrender an oyster card in the first 48 hours.
    Your 8 year old technically needs a 5-10 year old card to go free.
    No they don't. Under 11s travel free with an adult.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    t0rt0ise wrote: »
    No you can't. You can't surrender an oyster card in the first 48 hours.

No they don't. Under 11s travel free with an adult.
    Fair enough! Didn't know that about the Oyster card. They aren't a bad thing to keep for future trips I guess.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why can't you swipe the contactless card twice?
  • Yolina
    Yolina Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    edited 16 February 2016 at 1:57PM
    Options
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    Why can't you swipe the contactless card twice?

Because TFL doesn't want you to ;) you also can't use one Oyster to pay for 2 people at the same time. It works on the principle on "1 tap for in, 1 tap for out" and that's it.
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport