Xbox gold

FrogletFroglet Forumite
2.7K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hubby has had xbox for a while and is considering buying a live gold membership .He doesn't play online and doesn't wish to so would it still be worth it ?Just need some input from those that have it.

Thanks !!

Replies

• If he doesnt play online, the only other benefit of gold is that you get 4 free games per month, some are rubbish but some are, albeit older games, very good. Have a look at the xbox website for the type of games that have been given free recently.
  • No, if he doesn't play online it's a waste of money, the games offered for 360 in Games with Gold are largely available on the cheap in shops preowned. (For example the "blockbuster" title this month is Gears of War 2, available for under £2 widely.) Even on Xbox One the games tend to be hit & miss with the majority so far being indie titles, of the list of 32 games that have been included I'd probably only have bought 4.

There's more to it than playing online, but that's the primary reason for it being there & honestly it doesn't sound like in this case it would be a wise investment. The best thing I can suggest is that if he's really insistent, tell him to check his game boxes, there's a fair chance there may be some freebie codes in there. Failing that instead of the full year, try to pick up a 3 month pass - some others who are more inclined to know can possibly point out some places where the codes can be had cheaper than the £15 RRP.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • FrogletFroglet Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks.We have just applied a 14 day trial which we got with one of his games,but it doesn't let you have the free games until you start paying ! Which is understandable.I suggested the 3 month membership,that seems a wise choice.
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Froglet wrote: »
    Thanks.We have just applied a 14 day trial which we got with one of his games,but it doesn't let you have the free games until you start paying ! Which is understandable.I suggested the 3 month membership,that seems a wise choice.

Depending on what console he has will determine how many games he can download.
  • edited 9 February 2016 at 5:10PM
    Johnmcl7Johnmcl7 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 9 February 2016 at 5:10PM
    I'd agree with the above posts, I see the free games as a sweetener rather than a reason to have Gold on its own. Although the total value of the free games looks good against the cost for Gold, the games are usually either older titles that can be had cheap or not particularly great games.

John
  • FrogletFroglet Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Forumite
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Depending on what console he has will determine how many games he can download.

sorry I meant to say it is an xbox one
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Froglet wrote: »
    sorry I meant to say it is an xbox one

In that case it is 4 games a month he can download.
  • It's worth noting that they're not "free" games for the Xbox One. You have access to them while your Gold subscription is current, and lose access to them once your subscription lapses.
    Q: What kind of discussions aren't allowed?
    A: It goes without saying that this site's about MoneySaving.

Q: Why are some Board Guides sometimes unpleasant?
    A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to [email protected].
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK

MSE Deals