Winterthur Endowment mis-selling complaint – 2nd bite of the cherry?

Options
2»

Comments

• EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, I have seen a red letter from Winterthur dated July 2009. Not sure if there were any in previous years.
    Does anyone have a template letter that could be used to contact Nationwide to register a complaint?

As a starter, you only need to need to say that you think the policy was missold because the sale was not in line with your attitude to risk.

But check the time bar issue first with your parents,it's possible this one is still within the frame.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • peterpan1709
    Options
    Thanks for advice so far. There are also ill-health issues where both my parents were in and out of hospital and unable to deal with correspondence for a while over the past few years. So perhaps there may be grounds for discretionary compassion? Should the mis-selling complaint be addressed to Winterthur or Nationwide?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,461 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are also ill-health issues where both my parents were in and out of hospital and unable to deal with correspondence for a while over the past few years. So perhaps there may be grounds for discretionary compassion?
    The FOS would consider that. However, they will also consider that most time bars started the clock ticking in 2003-2004 and were time barred 3 years later in 2006-7. We are now 3-4 years after that. So, assuming your parents were timebarred in 2007 (the year most were), they would have to persuade the FOS that they were both unable to make a complaint for at least 6 years because of medical conditions.

The FOS tend to only overturn time bars when the medical conditions are serious and continuous.
    Should the mis-selling complaint be addressed to Winterthur or Nationwide?
    The agent that sold it. And this may be your other problem. Many of the building societies didnt have in house advisers/agents back then. They used to use local firms and it would be the local firm that carried the liability in those cases. As its pre 29th April 1988, if a local agent was used, then there is no ability to complain as its pre-regulation.

When you speak to Winterthur to find out if its time barred, they should also be able to confirm who the selling agent was. My gut feeling is that Nationwide would not have been agents for Colonial as its not a company you would expect a tie up with. However that is just a guess.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure