We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Steam press (table type) - do you use one?

Hello
I've looked at the old joined threads (2008 and 2010) for this, but they weren't particularly helpful as table presses have developed a lot in the last few years and the thread digressed onto handheld steamers


I can't believe that I am asking this, as I haven't used an iron (for ironing clothes, anyway) for more years than I care to remember.

I do occasionally iron fabric before embroidering, and I've suddenly got a fancy to buy a (second hand) steam press. Do you have any experience (good or bad) of using any brands? I've heard that Domena is very good.

I'm not looking for a hand held steamer, it's a table press thing that I want.

I will probably end up just using it for fabric, as I can't see why I'd start ironing clothes now. But I am getting old, and I know that people sometimes start to do strange things in their dotage, so if I am going to buy one I might as well get one that is good at clothes.

Thanks for any tips you can give.

Comments

  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I have an E&R classic which I bought many moons ago from QVC

    Its small enough it sits on my coffee table

    I have been known to do the weeks ironing on it but then I got a steam generated iron so its just relegated to doing the bedding

    It can, like a lot of cheaper irons, decide to spurt the water out. So I have an old tea towel that I use for the first few presses, just to make sure the steam is coming through correctly and Im not going to get water marks
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.