Indigestion now !!!

Options
I have terrible indigestion and cannot get rid of it. Normally my husband rubs my back like winding a baby but he is away this week. Anybody any suggestions.

Comments

• Addy
    Addy Posts: 1,896 Forumite
    Options
    Peppermint or chamomile tea might help if you have any to hand.

I find the supermarket equivalents to Rennies usually work fine when I get it, and keep some next to my bed just in case, but when I was pregnant the only thing that got rid of it was Gaviscon.
  • whizzing
    whizzing Posts: 294 Forumite
    Options
    I took gaviscon about half an hour ago but still no relief. I am soo tired but can't lie down as that makes it worse.
  • trace_567
    trace_567 Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    If you have any bicarbonate of soda in the house, put 1/4 to 1/2 a teaspoon into a glass of water, mix and drink. It tastes vile but it is honestly pretty good. I use this when all else fails for me, even when my prescribed stuff don't work.
    Don't use bicarb though if you have high blood pressure.
  • trace_567
    trace_567 Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    Failing that, or even do it as well as the above eat some type of dry bland food. Such as crackers, pain biscuits (not chocolate variety or anything too sugary), or eat a slice of toast plain with no butter etc.
  • Angel1980_2
    Options
    Peppermint cordial is a good way of getting shut!!!
    :rotfl: Proud to be dealing with my debts:rotfl:
    Total Debt £32K due to be debt free July 2019
    Sept Grocery Challenge £175
    Spent so far £[strike]15[/strike]£93.50
    Xmas £2 Challenge £50
    So Far [strike]£4[/strike] £6
    Sept PMS Challenge £30
    £1.91
    Savings Banked
    Not yet but account is ready
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If this is a regular occurrence, have you seen your GP?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • whizzing
    whizzing Posts: 294 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies, especially during the night. It always feels quite lonesome during the night when you have no one to tell that you feel ill. After about an hour it started to get better and I was able to lie down and get to sleep. It happens occasionally and it must be due to what I am eating or drinking.
  • judyjetson
    judyjetson Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've found that a glass of very cold skimmed or semi-skimmed milk sipped slowly helps if I'm out of indigestion tablets. For me, fatty foods like sausages and pastry inevitably give me terrific indigestion.
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    Hi--I used to suffer terrible heartburn while I was pregnant, & used to visit the local off licence three or four time a week to get a soda syphon!!! Then I invested in a soda stream machine that gets pressed into service still, when one of the family is suffering.
    We've found the soda water helps after you've been sick too, taking that awful petrol-type taste away.
    Second the neat peppermint cordial too.
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• laura1976
    Options
    If this is happening regularly make an appointment with your GP. My hubby's always suffered indigestion and had bisodol and gaviscon etc. About a year ago he was rushed to hospital with severe chest pains and a dead arm so they hooked him up an ran ECGs, then decided to treat him for the worst possibility which was his heart. They sprayed some stuff under his tongue and within 30 seconds he had gone grey and said he was going to be sick.........then blacked out. They whizzed the bed out into HDU and left me there thinking he was dead. Anyway, he was fine but his body went into shock which was why he went grey and fainted and eventually they decided it was the effect of the constant burn of acid on the oesophagus, especially at night. He has a hiatus hernia which means your "one way valve" doesn't close to prevent the stomach acid sploshing up, and he's just been back for yet more tablets........really the only cure is an operation but he can't afford the recovery time off work. He's been on Omeprazole and has just started Lansoprazole yesterday. Anyway.......if he'd gone to the doc's before it got so bad it would have saved me thinking he was dying in front of me, I've never felt so scared or wanted my mum so much. Sorry for rambling but if it's bad enough to tell people about probably time you took some professional advice.
    Smokefree since 27-9-2007
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport