Mobile phone unsettled defaults

Options
I am a mortgage adviser with a big bank and have recently had 4 incidents recently where applicants have had their mortgage applications declined due to very small unsettled defaults ie: £9.84. All 4 applicants had no knowledge of these defaults often from years ago and has otherwise excellent credit history and in good employment with a range of incomes. One mobile phone company apparently told my customer verbally that they actually didn't try to contact her to tell her about her apparent outstanding bill when she stopped her contract with them. My question is how can a default be registered on someone credit file without them knowing and how much effort is a company expected to make to contact with a customer who may have left them with a closing bill? Another customer had moved and the company wrote to the old address however as she said they had her phone number as she didn't change it.

Comments

• SueP19
    SueP19 Posts: 1,876 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not sure whether you are on the right board but I have first and multiple experience of this and I am surprised you have not encountered similar before

3 (nearly 5 years old now) gave them notice final bill should have been about £5 is now £65 with DCA
    HSBC arrangement made in 2006 and paid religiously (left them due to calling in od at moments notice) Credit file marke absconded/gone away
    BofS Loan settled but left as unsettled

All items bought to the attention of the so called credit file agencies and in all cases was told "not our problem"
    Debt Free Diary - Second Chances! Life in a Tourer........Tilly Tidy Founder in 2016, Tilly Tidy 2023 £17.43, NSD Jan 2023 9/10, Debt £13,491.65
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure