could someone help please

Options

Hi, have recently split with my husband, we had fallen a bit behind with our mortgage payments before he left, he's refusing to help with any of the mortgage and certainly not with the arrears which I've managed to get down to (£200). I've switched to interest only for now which is manageable for me but I'm struggling with the arrears, do I come clean with the halifax and tell them the situation, how do I stand if they know we're no longer together?I'm worried they might not let me carry on paying the mortgage myself...any suggestions?

Comments

• scottishsuz
    Options
    Whether you'll get to keep on the mortgage yourself or not I think will depend on your earning in comparison to the value of the mortgage.

I'm not sure of the legalities of keeping your husband on the mortgage when he is no longer there, the mortgage company will chase both parties for any late payments etc.

I'm sure a mortgage advisor type bod will be along with some more helpful advice soon.

Suz
    [STRIKE]Student Loan = 798 @ Jan 2013 Target date to clear = 2013 DONE [/STRIKE]
    Mortgage= [STRIKE]38100 @ Feb 2013 Target date to clear = 2026[/STRIKE], 33044 @ April 2015, New target date = Jan 2025
    Credit card = 3300 @ April 2015 Target date to clear = April 2016

Debt free nerd no. 540. Proud to be dealing with my debts :)
  • Snoozy_2
    Options
    Hi

With regards to coming clean to the lender, that's a definite for me. I used to work in an Arrears dept in a former life and they really do want to help. They are not in the business of repossessing houses and will do their best to help you. There are a number of different methods they can use to help and they will assess your position with regards to the continuing mortgage payments. It may be worth you going to see the Citizens Advice Bureau with regards the situation with your husband, they will also help you in your discussions with other creditors if necessarry.

Hope this helps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport