Battery Storage Trial

Options
I received this from Scottish Power last week:
As a ScottishPower customer, you are invited to apply to be part of a trial to receive a FREE home energy battery - worth between £2-4k. This allows you to store surplus energy from your Solar PV system, without affecting your Feed in tariff.

The purpose of this trial is to understand how battery storage could benefit our customers and how it affects your energy usage.

BillSave UK will supply and install the battery. This is funded by ScottishPower, at no cost to you. Once installed, we will be monitoring and accessing your consumption data and the data generated by your battery for research purposes throughout the trial period (up to 24 months).

When the trial is over, you keep the battery.

Followed by further information about the trial and how to apply. The deadline for application is tomorrow. Looking at the criteria there is no way I would qualify, unfortunately, as there is basically nowhere suitable to put the battery, but I'm curious whether anyone else has received this and applied.
2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I threw in a mention here:-
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Customers of Scottish Power might be able to take part in a battery storage trial.

but other than that know nothing.

I'm also curious, but only because I try to follow the 'storage' news, and a UK trial would be interesting.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I threw in a mention here:-

but other than that know nothing.

I'm also curious, but only because I try to follow the 'storage' news, and a UK trial would be interesting.

Mart.

Off topic for this one but I was approached some time back by Good Energy who were recruiting people for a battery storage trial based on a Moixa system - didn't get in but found this update which suggested at the time it might go live later this year. - http://utilityweek.co.uk/news/good-energy-to-launch-storage-offer-by-april-2016/1157402#.VqJgh03cuUk
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 January 2016 at 7:19PM
    Options
    Hi

Looking at the spec of the Moixa system, it looks to be geared more to leveling the evening post pv generation peak with a constant fixed output (400W) for up to 4Hrs (2kWh*80%/400W) than maximising the owner's self consumption. As such it probably suits the energy sector pretty well by having a distributed storage system which the customer pays for, so I wouldn't be surprised if the trials were based on the same system.

My immediate concern is the mentioned value of between £2k and £4k as this looks to be in the ballpark of the much more sophisticated and considerably larger Tesla system (Moixa 2kWh vs Tesla 7kWh-alt-10kWh). If the guide price is correct it looks like the anticipated margin when it hits the market would be considerable, so yet another sector rip off. I'd guess that the sector would look to convince the government that if they shared the capital cost by only charging the customer (say)~50% they should be able to access levy funding, which would make sense of the FiT consultation timing, so still a sector rip off, but the illogical and mathematically challenged idiots at DECC/Ofgem would definitely fall for it.

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport