Where do I stand?

I have a Littlewoods account in my name which I personally haven't bought anything with on over a year. Once I cleared the balance, my ex offere to change the password to stop me from buying anything. She then started using it. There was a balance of over £300 on it when we split up. 4 months have passed and she's made 2 (I think) payments. Now she is ignoring me. Where do I stand? I also have a phone in my name for her which she hasn't paid in months.

Comments

• slbhill
    slbhill Posts: 5,441
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    straynor88 wrote: »
    I have a Littlewoods account in my name which I personally haven't bought anything with on over a year. Once I cleared the balance, my ex offere to change the password to stop me from buying anything. She then started using it. There was a balance of over £300 on it when we split up. 4 months have passed and she's made 2 (I think) payments. Now she is ignoring me. Where do I stand? I also have a phone in my name for her which she hasn't paid in months.

Not many people hang about the Local boards, and I doubt your position is different because you're in Scotland. Suggest you post somewhere more relevant - here perhaps? http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12 I know it's not exactly a loan but a credit shopping account is effectively a loan.

Good luck getting some useful advice and some resolution. I'm definitely no expert but the obvious place to start would be just to phone Littlewoods, explain the situation and get them to cancel the account, or at least freeze it so no more purchases can be made until you can get it all sorted.
  • I've wandered on the Scottish Board for a different reason but my first piece of advice is to change the password back (if you haven't already) and if you're out of contract on the mobile phone cancel it. If you're not then you need to find out how much it would cost to terminate it early.

It's your credit rating that's getting trashed so you need to firstly carry out damage limitation and then worry about repairing the damage
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    To change the password she must have had the original password. As you gave it to her, the company will blame you and it's your loss. No different from giving a bank card pin to someone.

If the phone is in your name then the debt is yours.

These may not be the answers you want to hear but I'm afraid that's the position you are in.

To get your money back you can get a couple of friends to "persuade" her. You can try your luck with the small claims court. You could try a debt recovery agent.

You can spread the word to prevent her trying to con anyone else.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure