Cheapest train fare Plymouth - Birmingham

Crafty32
Crafty32 Posts: 5 Forumite
edited 15 January 2016 at 11:31PM in Public transport & cycling
I am travelling from Plymouth to Birmingham New Street during the evening of 17th February and travelling back the following day. What would the cheapest train fare be? Would it be cheaper if I split the journey and, if so, where should I split it?
Any advice would be appreciated :)

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    The cheapest walkon ticket is an offpeak return at £119.40, valid after 0930 in both directions

You ought to be able to save on this by splitting - at a guess at Exeter, Bristol and Cheltenham Spa

The cheapest advance ticket is £21.30 single - if there are any at that price. More likely twice that
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Crafty32 wrote: »
    I am travelling from Plymouth to Birmingham New Street during the evening of 17th February and travelling back the following day. What would the cheapest train fare be? Would it be cheaper if I split the journey and, if so, where should I split it?
    Any advice would be appreciated :)
    You asked a similar question in 2011.
    The responses will help with your current queries.

For splitting, try Trainsplit.com.
  • Hi there. As I travel a lot from Burton upon Trent to Plymouth to go to the university; I can confidently tell you that the cheapest way to split your ticket to Plymouth from Birmingham is to split at Cheltenham, then Bristol Temple Meads then Taunton. I have to also split my tickets at Birmingham. When I get my tickets for there and back it takes me a while to collect them all at the self service machines. Walking away with 10 tickets and 10 collection receipts as well as any other seat reservations. But it is well worth it. It used to cost me £100+ return. It now cost me around £40
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure