Clash of Clans in app purchases

Almost got a nasty surprise playing this on my iPad the other day. I don't play it a lot (especially since the latest update).

I was collecting loot from my mines (if you play the game you'll understand) and one of them was just next to the Gem counter...in fact it was next to the + next to the Gem counter. This opened up another screen and in the exact same space where the + had been was a button to buy £80 worth of credits for the game. I had tapped on the same area twice (which is what you would do) and so my iPad tried to make a purchase and asked for my iTunes/App Store password.

I presume some people have their password stored so they don't have to type it every time they buy a song, am wondering if this means you can purchase in-game credits for Clash of Clans without really meaning to.

Replies

• edited 14 January 2016 at 5:59PM
    Fletch7Fletch7 Forumite
    47 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 14 January 2016 at 5:59PM
    You can accidentally spend real money in any game with in-app purchases. There are regular stories in the news of kids running up a credit card bill of thousands because mum/dad didn't put a password on it, here's one from a couple of days ago:

http://www.bitterwallet.com/father-bans-son-from-video-games-as-he-spends-over-5000/90251
  • forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    32K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    No way would i store my payment details into a phone.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Certainly happens with many of those who are less careful
  • Struck me as interesting that the button you click on to make the most expensive in-app purchase just happens to be on the exact pixel you tap on to get into the purchasing screen
  • Struck me as interesting that the button you click on to make the most expensive in-app purchase just happens to be on the exact pixel you tap on to get into the purchasing screen
    It's a fairly standard tactic, though it's not necessarily always used in such a direct way. For example, New Star Soccer (which is a superb free game for anyone who likes Sensible Soccer and Football Manager, incidentally) pops up with adverts every couple of games. The adverts completely cover the screen and will last maybe thirty seconds, but after five seconds you can skip them. It used to be that the countdown timer was in one corner, and would then turn into a cross to close the advert. However, recently crosses now appear in different corners, and sometimes blend in to say the least. It meant that initially I clicked the advert rather than the cross because I was on auto pilot, which obviously took me to the app purchase page. It's not an issue because most of the adverts are for free games, but I can certainly easily believe that other companies are using similar tactics in more direct ways.
    "MIND IF I USE YOUR PHONE? IF WORD GETS OUT THAT
    I'M MISSING FIVE HUNDRED GIRLS WILL KILL THEMSELVES."
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum