remortgaging- should i add my debt to it?

Options
my fixed rate is ending on my mortgage next month so its time i changed. i have 70300 left to pay and i also have around 16k of debt, i rang the woolwich (who i am currently with) to see what they could offer. i asked them if i could add my debt to it and a little more as my car is quite near to the end, bringing the total to 90300. they've offered me a fixed rate for 2 years at 6.89%. i'm currently paying 4.79% so this seems a bit high to me. is it because i am using it to consolidate my debt or is that just what the rate is nowadays?
i would appreciate any input or suggestions.
my house is worth 110000 by the way and my annual income before tax is 24000.
thanks in advance
russ

Comments

• apk1
    apk1 Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    I suspect this is a "retention" product they are offering with low fees, however there will be a £150 fee for the additional borrowing. I would suggest looking elsewhere such as A&L who have a 6.34% fixed which should be more or less fee free.

As to whether you should secure your debts, potentially you will be paying more interest if you take over a longer term, or you could split the mortgage, so the additional borrowing is over a shorter term.

Peolple will argue you should not secure as you could lose your house over a loan in effect, personally I think it makes very little difference as if you owe a lender money and you have property they will come after you, and put a charge on your property, the only difference being this will cost them more, if it costs them more, the cost will be passed to you.

Think carefully and shop around
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure