Fruit comparing aldi to local fruit shops?

Options
Aldi seems so cheap, and if you go there anyway more convieient than small fruit and veg store.

But what does everybody else find? I'm in London and most small fruit and veg seem more expensive than aldi/lidle, but the small fruitiers are cheaper than the big supermarkets.

Comments

• torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    No fruit & veg shop within 15 miles of where I live and it's in a town that I would have no other reason to visit.
  • Brightspark87
    Options
    where in london are you? I lived in south east and went to East Street Market at the weekends and go so much fruit cheapy! Only veg that was worth while was avocados

Paid off all Catalogues 10.10.2014
  • Garethgrew
    Options
    where in london are you? I lived in south east and went to East Street Market at the weekends and go so much fruit cheapy! Only veg that was worth while was avocados

Are you sure even cheaper than aldi?
  • Brightspark87
    Options
    Garethgrew wrote: »
    Are you sure even cheaper than aldi?

Yes! 10 avocados for £1 or 4 massive ones 4 for £1. A whole bowl full of apples for £1 same for oranges etc. lemons and limes 10 or sometimes 15 for £1. cherries when in season, £2 for a massive bowl and passion fruit 10 for £1. Double the amount you get for £1 in Aldi. Cucumbers for 5 £1 too sometimes. I do not find aldi fruit that cheap?

Veg not so much - Aldi is cheaper for that.

• sharond101
    Options
    Yes! 10 avocados for £1 or 4 massive ones 4 for £1. A whole bowl full of apples for £1 same for oranges etc. lemons and limes 10 or sometimes 15 for £1. cherries when in season, £2 for a massive bowl and passion fruit 10 for £1. Double the amount you get for £1 in Aldi. Cucumbers for 5 £1 too sometimes. I do not find aldi fruit that cheap?

Sounds impressive but none so in my area in Scotland. We have a fruit stall in our local shopping centre but it is terrible and the fruit lasts little more than a day or two. Prices are similar to ALdi. I find the fruit and vegetables from Asda better value than Aldi (similar prices for bigger fruit/veg) and they stay edible for longer.
  • Brightspark87
    Options
    markets aren't always the best for quality but I like to be able to pick it up and look at it - don't forget there are lots of markets in London and if they didn't have good fruit people go elsewhere.

however, my local fruit and veg shop in Bristol is awful! Sold me rotten raspberries and when I went to ask for a swap said it was how I stored them. Not returning there.

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think you have to explore your local area to see what suits you best, OP. As brightspark says, there are lots of options in London.

I've been using a local fruit stall for years and it suits me fine, although I often top-up with Aldi and Lidl fruit and veg.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Garethgrew
    Options

I never pay more than £1 per kilo for oranges at aldi, I've never seen then that cheap in fruit shops, usually £1 for a bowl half kg
  • Garethgrew
    Options
    Can anybody else find oranges cheaper than £1 per kilo?

It would be great to have a place on MSE where each fruit could have a list of the cheapest place per 100g and then compare?
  • Garethgrew
    Options
    Pomlio is 70p in aldi, they are over £1 each in fruit shops
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills