"Someone" been using my login details

I deal with alot of the finance and accounts issues where I work, but my manager is responsible for cashflow and associated info such as doing bank reconciliations, bank payments and leases etc.

I just had to check the audit trail on the accounts package to see if a cheque had been reconciled - it had, however it said that I had reconciled it...which is impossible as I just don't do the reconciliations , so I checked a few other transactions and see that there are other transactions posted on the system supposedly by me..however I know that I DID NOT POST them as I was on mat leave from Feb to July this year and some of these transactions occurred during this time...but there have been others since. In theory only my line manager should have and would have posted these transactions so I had a looked at the audit trail for his name and NOTHING has been posted under his user name in the 12 months he has worked here! So I am pretty certain it's him who's doing it...and I am pretty damn annoyed about it. OK I could prove the transactions during my mat leave were not done by me, but if anything were ever called into question (particularly any payments made) and it's been "posted to the system" by me, how the hell do I prove it WASN'T me.....

I have changed my password for starters - that'll throw him when he's back off holiday next week! (but I don't even know how he knew my password in the first place)..:mad:

Comments

• Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    lovelar wrote: »

I have changed my password for starters - that'll throw him when he's back off holiday next week! (but I don't even know how he knew my password in the first place)..:mad:

"Is that IT?"
    "Yeah"
    "It's Mr. Noseybody, the AC manager. Mrs.Bestemployee is on sick and I need to get to some accounts on her computer. Can I have the password?"
    "Sure, it's ABC123"
    <scribbles down in notebook>"Cheers, bye."
  • asea
    asea Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    that is a sackable offence where I work - even if you have the user's permission
    nothing to see here, move along...
  • lovelar
    lovelar Posts: 13 Forumite
    Conor wrote: »
    "Is that IT?"
    "Yeah"
    "It's Mr. Noseybody, the AC manager. Mrs.Bestemployee is on sick and I need to get to some accounts on her computer. Can I have the password?"
    "Sure, it's ABC123"
    <scribbles down in notebook>"Cheers, bye."

Well as I am the only person here who sets up the users it isn't actually possible for him to have rung an IT dept - we don't have one!!! But thanks for your useful sarcasm!
  • taxi97w
    taxi97w Posts: 1,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Well ,only you can work out the password thing.
    But I would alert the manager who is above the both of you (if there is one), and report this finding of yours. If any wrongdoing should come to light, even months down the line, at least you have been open, honest & compliant with policy.
    more dollar$ than sense
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Presumably you haven't set your computer to remember your password at any time? I know it might mean that your manager has logged in at your machine rather theirs, but it happens ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • regularsaver1
    regularsaver1 Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    surely if your manager is the only one who is suppose to reconcile , this would have been picked up earlier within the 12 months he has been working there?
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Well as I am the only person here who sets up the users it isn't actually possible for him to have rung an IT dept - we don't have one!!! But thanks for your useful sarcasm!

Sadly, I've heard such conversations.

The other thing as well is he could be someone like me. I have very little problem remembering peoples logon details when working on computers so you may have only needed to have told him once.

Might be an idea to keep changing them every so often. It's easy to set up an expiry date for passwords.
  • barvid
    barvid Posts: 405 Forumite

I don't think it was sarcasm - I think it was a tongue-in-cheek way to remind you that changing the password doesn't necessarily keep it secret from your manager.
  • CFC
    CFC Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Conor is right - it's usually no trouble at all to get someone's password reset, especially if you are senior...
  • Its either a system fault or someone else has been doing it. If the system has been setup correctly there should be some way of tracing who has done what and when, maybe by narrowing down users to IP addresses of computers on your network, i dont know your company so i cant comment further on what systems you have in place. As a IT engineer myself I have been to companys to investigate such things, with various outcomes at the end of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure