Tesco Meal Deal/Brand Match Glitch

Options
buzzyzoe
buzzyzoe Posts: 477 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
edited 9 January 2016 at 10:05PM in Gone off!
Hi all,

Wasn't sure where to post this so apologies if it should be somewhere else.

Tesco currently have a £5 frozen meal deal on which is 1 main, 2 sides and 1 dessert for £5. However, as well as taking the discount off to make the items £5, it also brand matches them individually.

The items included are as follows:
Mains
Chicago Town Takeaway Pepperoni Pizza 645G - £4.00(£0.62/100g)
Chicago Town Takeaway Cheese 630G - £4.00(£0.64/100g)
4 Light And Crunchy Chicken In Bread Crmbs 360G - £2.75(£7.64/kg)
Birds Eye 4 Battered Fish Fillets 400G - £3.00(£7.50/kg)
Sides
Aunt Bessie's Onion Rings 375G - £1.75(£4.67/kg)
Birds Eye Steamfresh 4 Classic Garden Mix Vegetable 540G - £1.89(£3.50/kg)
Mccain Oven Chips 907G - £1.75
Mccain American Bbq Wedges 750G - £1.85(£2.47/kg)
Tesco Cajun Breaded Mushrooms 500G - £2.00(£4.00/kg)
Birds Eye Steam Fresh Garden Peas 400G - £2.00(£5.00/kg)
Desserts
Carte D'or Praline Ice Cream 900Ml - £3.00(£0.33/100ml)
Carte D'or Vanilla Light Frozen Dessert 900Ml - £3.00(£0.33/100ml)
Carte D'or Cinnamon Biscuit Ice Cream Dessert 900Ml
- £3.00(£0.33/100ml)
Carte D'or Caramel Ice Cream Dessert 900Ml - £3.00(£0.33/100ml)
Carte D'or Vanilla Ice Cream Dessert 900Ml - £3.00(£0.33/100ml)
Carte D'or Strawberry Ice Cream Dessert 900M - £3.00(£0.33/100ml)
Tesco New York Cheesecake 450G - £2.00(£0.44/100g)

Earlier, I bought two of the meal deals as follows:
- 2x pepperoni pizza
- 2x bbq wedges
- 2x oven chips
- 1x vanilla ice cream
- 1x praline ice cream

I then bought 5 cheap sweets to get the 10 different items you need to get the brand match (all 10/20p each)

My total paid was £7.64.

I believe you can get even better savings with the Birds Eye Classic Garden Mix but it was out of stock in my Tesco.

Hope this helps someone! You get a lot of food for £7ish, it's nearly filled my freezer!
Mortgage received 21/12/2018
Mortgage at start - £261,980
Current mortgage - £260,276
Saving towards a loft conversion first, then to smash the mortgage down!

Comments

• peewhyeff
    peewhyeff Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    BUZZYZOE.....you say you bought 2 pks oven chips. Which were they ? You've not listed any oven chips in the list of choices. Seems a great offer if you choose the right options.
  • buzzyzoe
    buzzyzoe Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    peewhyeff wrote: »
    BUZZYZOE.....you say you bought 2 pks oven chips. Which were they ? You've not listed any oven chips in the list of choices. Seems a great offer if you choose the right options.

Whoops so I didn't - have amended now

Here is the Tesco website link which shows all the products as well as that's probably easier for people to see what they're getting!

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/SpecialOffers/SpecialOfferDetail/Default.aspx?promoId=A31886975
    Mortgage received 21/12/2018
    Mortgage at start - £261,980
    Current mortgage - £260,276
    Saving towards a loft conversion first, then to smash the mortgage down!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    buzzyzoe wrote: »
    I then bought 5 cheap sweets to get the 10 different items you need to get the brand match (all 10/20p each)
    Sorry to be a bit thick, I don't get this bit?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Sorry to be a bit thick, I don't get this bit?

Brand match only kicks in if you have 10 different items. If the OP had only bought the items in the meal deal they would only have had 5 different items ( pizza, wedges , oven chips, vanilla ice cream, praline ice cream ) - so they bought another 5 cheap things to make total up to 10
  • selimmich
    Options
    So would it have to be branded sweets (haribo etc) to kick in brand match?
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    The OP has failed to explain that this deal works as a price comparison against Morrisons, and works because Bird's Eye Garden Mix is only a £1 in Morrisons, and the Carte D'Or is on offer at £1.32, whilst most of the other choices are either the same price or don't match.

It will last until Morrisons changes its offers, and its website shows the ice cream offer ending today.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    selimmich wrote: »
    So would it have to be branded sweets (haribo etc) to kick in brand match?

No it can be anything.

Tesco own brand would be safer as it won't affect brand match.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,900 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    antrobus wrote: »
    No it can be anything.

Tesco own brand would be safer as it won't affect brand match.

I have always found that it n/a if its not branded.

When it used to be online checking it always said n/a on non branded things for me.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I bought the £5 mealdeal today Frozen piza, cajun mushrooms, Carte D'Or icecream, birdseye steamed veg.

Now I take the "saving" £5.79 with a pinch of salt, as no-one in their right mind pays £3 for Carte D'Or and £1.89 for steamed veg etc. but

They refunded me £1.29 as Asda are cheaper on the full prices for the Carte D'Or and steamed veg! (£2 and £1.50, but the piza was 10p more)

Bonus, the meal deal for £3.81 :D

You do have to buy 10 different items to get it though, but the other things I bought were all Tesco brand, except Clover, that was the same price luckily.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,900 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    I bought the £5 mealdeal today Frozen piza, cajun mushrooms, Carte D'Or icecream, birdseye steamed veg.

Now I take the "saving" £5.79 with a pinch of salt, as no-one in their right mind pays £3 for Carte D'Or and £1.89 for steamed veg etc. but

They refunded me £1.29 as Asda are cheaper on the full prices for the Carte D'Or and steamed veg! (£2 and £1.50, but the piza was 10p more)

Bonus, the meal deal for £3.81 :D

You do have to buy 10 different items to get it though, but the other things I bought were all Tesco brand, except Clover, that was the same price luckily.

OP here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5390465&highlight=tesco+meal+deal
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure