We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Evening Standard - Win a Flat compo

Options
Last year I collected all the tokens for this competition, bought plenty of eve. standards, and had enough for about 4 entries which I duly sent off.

Afterwards, I kept checking the paper and the evening standard website, and they never announced a winner. I even wrote to the paper asking, and I never received a reply.

Did anyone on these boards ever see an announcement of a winner in the paper or anywhere else?

I've been put off completely from newspaper competitions because of this - I think they promise a fantastic prize, gullible suckers buy loads of papers for the 'tokens' and they never have to shell out.

Straight afterwards, another paper was offering a cottage in the country worth I think around £250K. I didn't even consider entering because of the ES experience.

What are your thoughts / knowledge on these competitions?

Comments

• tincat
    tincat Posts: 935 Forumite
    Options
    Needless to say, I don't buy the ES anymore :p
  • hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    Options
    Try ringing them and see what they say. When some places have competitions they say if you want a list of winners write to such an address after the closing date. You obviously havent won the competition, soemone else will have though, did you buy every paper to try and find the winner and read every bit to try and find out who did?
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • kt21
    kt21 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Options
    As a winner of abour 8 evening standard comps, including 2 flights to Hong Kong I can say that their comps are genuine with genunie winners. Although not everyweek they do post winners names in the paper. Try writing to them, although after all this time I don't know if they'd be able to help you. Don't be dishartened though these comps are popular, but they can be won ;)
  • brook_son
    brook_son Posts: 5,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I seem to remember on one of the posts best wins - someones knew the person who won a house with one of the papers - anyone else remember.

Also remember it is free to enter so your only loss is some time.

Keep trying have you won anything yet?

:dance:Carry on Comping :dance:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills