London near Brixton and easy to get to Gatwick

Options
going to visit family in London and flying into Gatwick . We are looking for a budget hotel to stay in and around Brixton so we can meet up with family and then head back to Gatwick to get our flight .it would be good if we could make it into London as we are there for 3 days , 2 nights . Have not been to London in years so I do not have a clue where is easy to get to
Thanks

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Once you've idenitified possible locations, the TFL website is your friend ... probably along with LateRooms or similar. Or just google.

I presume you're not hiring a car, but public transport around London is much better than it used to be when I was growing up there!

If it's hotels specifically you want, I'd get your family to look around / get recommendations. There's a Travelodge in Balham and a Premier Inn in Brixton itself: these can be very good VFM if you don't have to pay for breakfast as well.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The gatwick express train Takes 30 mins and runs every 15.
    The cost is about £30 return and it goes to Victoria.

I would suggest taking a look at the easy hotel in Victoria.
    It's one of the cheapest but decent/clean hotels you'll find (basic and small).
    It's 7 mins on the tube from Victoria to Brixton. The Victoria line is extremely frequent like every 1-3 minutes.
    You'll be close to the tube to Brixton/central London and close to the train to gatwick.
    Tube is £2.40 single but max £6.50 for the day. You each should take a contacless card if you have one (get an Oyster card if you don't).

Travelodges and premier inns are actually quite expensive in London but check them out.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Balham isn't a bad area. It's easy reached from Gatwick ( express to East Croydon then change)and Brixton is just up the road ( Northern line to Stockwell then change)

There's lots of cheap eateries and a few decent pubs or you can enjoy the buzz of Clapham common before heading home on the night bus
  • belfastgal
    belfastgal Posts: 594 Forumite
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Once you've idenitified possible locations, the TFL website is your friend ... probably along with LateRooms or similar. Or just google.

I presume you're not hiring a car, but public transport around London is much better than it used to be when I was growing up there!

If it's hotels specifically you want, I'd get your family to look around / get recommendations. There's a Travelodge in Balham and a Premier Inn in Brixton itself: these can be very good VFM if you don't have to pay for breakfast as well.

Thanks , London seems such a big place, going to visit son so my main priority is to get off plane at London City and get to Brixton .... Leave bags with him as we get in at 8am and then get a hotel somewhere . Just somewhere handy to put our heads and somewhere easy to get to Gatwick for our flight on Sunday .
  • belfastgal
    belfastgal Posts: 594 Forumite
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    The gatwick express train Takes 30 mins and runs every 15.
    The cost is about £30 return and it goes to Victoria.

I would suggest taking a look at the easy hotel in Victoria.
    It's one of the cheapest but decent/clean hotels you'll find (basic and small).
    It's 7 mins on the tube from Victoria to Brixton. The Victoria line is extremely frequent like every 1-3 minutes.
    You'll be close to the tube to Brixton/central London and close to the train to gatwick.
    Tube is £2.40 single but max £6.50 for the day. You each should take a contacless card if you have one (get an Oyster card if you don't).

Travelodges and premier inns are actually quite expensive in London but check them out.

Thanks I'll have a look . It all looks so complicated, and just want to make sure it's not a nightmare getting about on the tube system.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Options
    belfastgal wrote: »
    Thanks , London seems such a big place, going to visit son so my main priority is to get off plane at London City and get to Brixton .... Leave bags with him as we get in at 8am and then get a hotel somewhere . Just somewhere handy to put our heads and somewhere easy to get to Gatwick for our flight on Sunday .

But your first post says you are flying into Gatwick. LCY is a completely different airport, and nowhere near Brixton.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,061 Forumite
    Options
    They might fly into one and out of another?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • belfastgal
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    But your first post says you are flying into Gatwick. LCY is a completely different airport, and nowhere near Brixton.
    Sorry we flew into London city airport and then out of London gatwick ... Many thanks for your replies
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure