PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2016

Options

Comments

• monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    AOT: I've had similar problems. As for coleslaw, I grate a courgette, and a carrot, finely slice some white cabbage, some red cabbage and a leek or small onion and keep in a plastic box in the fridge. This can be used for a small amount of coleslaw, a stir-fry or if boiled or steamed, a vegetable accompaniment to anything else. I have also added it to stews, casseroles, mince or pie fillings. Other vegetables can be added as you wish and I have found it very versatile.You can often buy half a small red and white cabbage, one leek, one courgette etc so you don't have to over buy.

I don't often have practical tips to offer and I feel inordinately proud of myself.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Great, a super new 2016 thread.

I'm in the last 24 hours of my holiday at the family home, and have been earning my keep doing some cleaning and tidying. A drop in the ocean, really, but better than nothing.

I'm about to go up into the loft to return one roll of Xmas gift wrap in its old tights leg sleeve. When I was loft-sorting at the beginning of Sept, I stored all of the Xmas rolls thus, each with a cardboard label on with a brief description of the paper and whether it was a started or unstarted roll. The idea being that the started rolls get used first, there were about 15 rolls of paper falling all over the place.

As we were coming into the season, I left 4 of the rolls downstairs in their tights tubes and three have been used up, so only one back. Should take a few years to get through the wrapping at this rate, but knowing how much is up there should prevent the urge to buy more.

At lunch today, I combined a sachet of hollandaise sauce leftover from the salmon steaks brought at liddly a few days ago with a can of tuna and made a sandwich spread. Went down well even with the dietrarily conservatives.:rotfl:

Have also been rounding up some of the copious amounts of scrap paper to use in my office job, I try never to use brand new paper for the scratch notes we take during calls, all of which goes into confidentail shredding at shift's end.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 2 January 2016 at 2:40PM
    Options
    Just remembered - something I read stitched into an American patchwork quilt a few weeks ago. It could be our motto for 2016:

Use it up
    Wear it out
    Make it do
    Do without.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have half a sweetheart cabbage in my fridge at home, I always wrap the cabbage in tin foil as it lasts so much longer in the fridge and keeps very well, and it will get steamed tonight and some will get used for dinner as an accompaniment and the rest will be 'bubbled and squeeked' tomorrow for breakfast with a poached egg on top.Just got to think of what I can do with two sad looking peppers one green and one orange when I get home
  • Minihauk
    Minihauk Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oooh, a shiny new thread. May I join you please? I lurked on the old one, but need to ratchet up my game for lots of reasons.

I retired last year, but am not eligible for my state pension for a few years, so am trying to manage on a small private pension and my savings (my sanity was worth more than the salary I was earning!)

I have lived in my house for over 30 years, so lots of "stuff", but children grown and moved on so I hope to downsize later in the year and must get rid/declutter. It is a work in progress but still a long way to go. I find it hard to just throw things away, I like to repurpose or pass them to someone who can make use unless items not suitable.

I have minimised the food in the freezer as it is not working and the engineer can't com until next Thursday, so will make do with a cool bag for my milk and just buy what I need until then.

Looking forward to hearing all about your journeys and achievements.
  • ArthriticOldThing
    Options
    Thank you Monnagran. I'll definitely try that.
    I've also seen that quote somewhere and think it's very appropriate. Might try to put it into signature, if I can work out how to do it. :rotfl:
    Jackie O, I wrap celery in tin foil but never thought to do same with cabbage.
    Two great practical suggestions already. Can see this year being a success with such advice.
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Do without.
  • candlelight_2013
    Options
    I also wrap a cucumber in tin foil, much better than a plastic bag, and it really lasts longer. I don't like it when the cucumber goes slimey.

Candlelightx
  • iamsalt
    iamsalt Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi

I got out of the habit of posting last year, but cntinued in the MMM ways. Life got rather busy and I couldn't keep up with everything.
    January is a busy month for me with village panto and work getting back to speed after the holidays.
    Like FP I have some thoughts on the year ahead.

1- minimise some of the community things I do. I don't mean not to be involved but I need to minimise the number of times I say yes before really considering the impact on me and getting some of my goals and looking after my family.

2 I would also like to set aside some time for non screen time. My oh is studying and I find myself wasting time on my iPad when I really want to be creative and sew, knit, garden or walk. I want to try painting this year so I think that would be a useful opportunity. My mum can't paint any more as she has the shakes so she is gifting me her paints and equipment - making do as well.

3 I want to get the garden how I like it. It's an inherited garden which my oh and his ex had. He never had the confidence to do anything with it apart from mow the lawn while they were together, and is thrilled with the veg garden we have created. Now for some flowers this year I think. He has shown me some pictures of cottage gardens he likes so that will be a together project.

FP my group of friends and I meet for a dinner every couple of months. We call it around the world. One couple hosts, chooses the theme and makes the main course, the others do starter, pud or drinks in the same theme ( there are 4 couples). It gets us all experimenting with recipes and no one takes the full cost burden or is left washing up every time. Might be an idea with your friends.
    S x
    £400,000 starting Jan 2020 current end date Aug 2041 I would love the end date to be 2027 but will aim first for 2037.
    1% target £4000 so far £20 paid
  • Nonnadiluca
    Options
    Hi. Like Minihauk I also retired last year and will have to manage on a very small pension, savings and DH's part time wages until I get my state pension in 2018. I too decided that my sanity and happiness was worth more than the pittance I was earning. I also lurked on this thread last year and got some great ideas and inspiration, so thanks to all for that.
    I have had to replace my dog walking jacket as my old one had truly died, but I removed the quilted lining, took out the sleeves and now have a light gilet to wear under my new jacket and my posh raincoat as well. I tried it out this morning and was toasty! Very pleased with myself!!
    I really like the idea of screen free time and will definitely make an effort to make it happen.
    Happy new year.
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • charlies-aunt
    charlies-aunt Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    Options
    Happy New Year!

I am working through my stash of Christmas decorations - more than half never get used - but are faithfully repacked and put in the loft every January. I have already out-ed all the ratty decorations and tired tinsel - I intend re-working the surplus cheapo baubles into present toppers for next Christmas (making). I have stash of vintage delicate glass baubles which I love but never use because I have never got round to attaching any hanging threads on them . . . . . . as I am always rushed at Christmas I put these to one side in favour of the pre-strung cheapo plastic ones.

Hoping to reduce the four big boxes down to two so that's my minimising for the week.

Just bought a bit of fresh veg this weekend as still working through the Christmas left overs (Make do)
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family