Time for the elephant to leave the room!

Options
I've always been completely rubbish with money, no matter how hard I try, I always mess up and keep digging myself into progressively deeper holes. I've lost count of how many diaries I've started, each one intended to be the last. I can't guarantee a clear head on the 1st so I've decided its time to bite the bullet and start again (two days early!).

I've had enough of money being the proverbial "elephant in the room". Its always there at the back of my mind, even when we're all having the best day, up it pops, rearing its ugly head - I can't stop thinking about the next bill that needs paying, so the elephant has to go!

This year has been a challenge - our finances reached rock bottom and my mum's health has taken a turn for the worse. She suffers from a progressive illness and has been in and out of care three times since February. She came home again, the week before Christmas and has managed fairly well since, but its only a matter of time until she has another episode. At times, I've felt like I'm hanging on to my sanity by the skin of my teeth!

We had a slight reprieve in November when I managed to obtain a second mortgage. This new loan is in joint names with my OH and for the last two months all our monies have gone into the one pot. We couldn't borrow enough to clear the debts in full but they are manageable now, which they weren't before. I was a hair's breadth from going under and I never, ever want to be in that position again - basically, if I mess up now, I lose the house and there's no way on earth I'm letting that happen so I'm counting on you to tell me when I'm being stupid and to give me a kick when I need one. I will gladly do the same in return :D:D:D

So, here's to a New Year and to working towards a clean slate!

Everyone knows, a new diary needs a new list, so here goes:-

1. We need emergency savings, so the first target will be to end the year with at least £3,000 in the pot.

2. All debts need to be paid in full. Currently these amount to around £3,000 but I will confirm this when I've had a proper look.

3. Yet again, I'm starting the New Year carrying more than a few excess pounds. I have no energy and hate going out so something's got to give - these types of lbs I will gladly lose :D

4. Do more surveys - I have been on Tol**a today and did the same yesterday, so far I'm 1/3rd of the way to a paypal voucher - I will keep going!

5. Start comping again. This is something I used to do years ago when my boys were young and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I even won a few small prizes. I did start again half heartedly earlier this year but didn't keep it up. So far, in the last three days I've entered about 200 comps. I know I won't be able to keep this up once I go back to work, but I will do my best :D

6. Get back to the menu planning - this really does work!

7. Eb*y, Eb*y, Eb*y - anything unwanted that isn't nailed down will be Eb*yed!

I can't think of anything else at the moment, but if anything occurs to me, I will add it to the list. :T

And now, I think taking the plunge and starting my new diary calls for a nice glass of wine and a few choccies - after all it needs to be gone by the 1st January and a good MSEr never wastes anything :D

Happy New Year xx
1st card to go - Aq*a - [STRIKE]£1,600[/STRIKE]/ £1,596.99

Comments

• Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good luck with getting debt free this year!
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • newpennypincher
    Options
    Happy New Year :beer::beer:

We had a lovely evening last night, went to a party and met some really nice people - drank loads of water in between the alcohol so don't feel too bad this morning :j

I've just signed up to the Dry January website, so no alcohol for me for the next month - that should hopefully save me a few calories, not to mention give my body a chance to get over the Christmas excesses.

I went to see my mum this morning and she's fine for the moment, so the rest of today will be spent having a lovely long soak in the bath and vegging out in front of the tv!

This is where the hard work starts, so jobs for today are:-

1. See if I can complete a few surveys - I've already done one.
    2. Enter at least 50 competitions.
    3. Start menu planning.
    4. Read some diaries in the hope of gaining some much needed inspiration.
    5. Most importantly, stop letting money, or the lack of it rule my life.

Happy New Year :j
  • newpennypincher
    Options
    I nearly forgot - I had a slight mishap with my online grocery shop just before Christmas :o

Instead of buying 500g of Bramley cooking apples, I bought 5Kg (two carrier bags full!) and instead of 1 celeriac, I've ended up with a bagful, so I need to have a look at the OS board to see if I can find a tasty recipe to use these up. I was thinking chutney, celeriac soup and apple crumble - I won't be wasting any of them

I thought I was being really organised, I booked my delivery slot for the 23rd December about a month in advance - felt quite smug about how organised I was, but come the 23rd when the order was delivered, half the stuff was missing because the store had run out and I end up drowning in cooking apples and celeriac :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options

I thought I was being really organised, I booked my delivery slot for the 23rd December about a month in advance - felt quite smug about how organised I was, but come the 23rd when the order was delivered, half the stuff was missing because the store had run out and I end up drowning in cooking apples and celeriac :rotfl::rotfl:

I have never done an online order for Xmas since I used to work at Tesco over 10 years ago and every Xmas there would not be enough stock for the online orders.

I just don't understand why the supermarkets don't look at all the orders beforehand (as you have to book early) and make sure there is enough stock in to cover the online orders?

It must be so disappointing to get a delivery thinking you are saving time and then to not get everything - did you have to go out and get the other bits?

I now buy Xmas bits each week and then I did an online order for my general bits like beans, flour, bread etc mid December. On Xmas Eve I popped in and got the cream and other short life things.

Hope you can use all the apples and celeriac up!! Could you core and chop the apples up as they are and put in the freezer - would be fine for crumbles etc?

Good luck with your debt busting in 2017!
  • mary_hinge
    mary_hinge Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I have never done an online order for Xmas since I used to work at Tesco over 10 years ago and every Xmas there would not be enough stock for the online orders.

I just don't understand why the supermarkets don't look at all the orders beforehand (as you have to book early) and make sure there is enough stock in to cover the online orders?

It must be so disappointing to get a delivery thinking you are saving time and then to not get everything - did you have to go out and get the other bits?

I now buy Xmas bits each week and then I did an online order for my general bits like beans, flour, bread etc mid December. On Xmas Eve I popped in and got the cream and other short life things.

Hope you can use all the apples and celeriac up!! Could you core and chop the apples up as they are and put in the freezer - would be fine for crumbles etc?

Good luck with your debt busting in 2017!

:rotfl::rotfl: Living up to your name EE, can we get through 2016 first please :D
    Living in a superhero induced haze :A:A
    "You did good Kidda!" :D
  • newpennypincher
    Options
    Hi EE and Mary :j

Yes, I did have to go out and shop for the missing bits on the 23rd, my boys (grown up!) came with me to "help" and lo and behold, another basket full of beer and chocolate to add to the mountain of food! Fair play though, they did do their bit to help us eat it all so I spose I shouldn't complain.

One of my substituted items was Creme Fraiche which I'm hoping is lower fat that double cream, so I think I may make some celeriac soup tomorrow, when my head is slightly less fuzzy :o
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • mummytogirls
    mummytogirls Posts: 6,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Happy New Diary Newpennypincher!

I did have to laugh at you with all your apples and celeriac! Did you add loads to your basket to get it up to the £40 minimum spend? I always do that with my Christmas order, luckily I've never had a problem removing my 10 loaves of bread and milk :rotfl:.

xx
    Mummytogirls x

• newpennypincher
    Options
    Hi Beanielou and Mummytogirls :j

No, I didn't load my basket with them to secure the slot, that would be excusable. I usually load my basket with a bottle of posh champagne (which is wishful thinking and always removed!) - I have no idea how I managed it, I think I just got my "gs" and "kgs" mixed up. After the stressed out delivery man had struggled up the steps with all the bags, I didn't have the heart to tell him I didn't want them and he'd have to carry them back down again, so I said everything was fine and started googling recipes - you never know, they may even be good for detoxing, I'll let you know :o

Today is my second day of Dry January, the first day of trying to eat healthily and I got a migraine, so my head is pounding! I weighed myself this morning and I weigh more than I have for a good while, so something has to be done. To be honest I'm not a big drinker but the odd glass of wine with dinner amounts to quite a few calories.

We went to MrT's this afternoon and stocked up on healthy food, salad etc. I'm trying very hard to avoid the chocolate at the moment but if I can lose 4 stone this year, I'll be a happy woman :j

I've also thought of something else to add to my list:-

6. Even if I feel stressed and can't be bothered, I will not leave the house without making the effort to look presentable. Some days, I don't even feel like getting dressed, but if you can make the effort, you feel the difference - so I will try to put on a happy face even if I don't feel particularly happy. Hopefully, losing weight will make me feel better about myself and eventually putting on a happy face won't be such an effort :)

I haven't managed any surveys today, they keep telling me I haven't qualified, so I think I'll give up for tonight.

BF just asked if I fancied some toast and pate and I'm starving so I said yes please - oh well, I should probably ease myself gently into the healthy eating anyway :o
  • newpennypincher
    Options
    Good Afternoon :j

Today is the last day of Christmas and its back to work tomorrow for this pennypinching household..........booo!

I haven't been out at all today, little brother is visiting mum this afternoon, so I've stayed out of the way.

I haven't done every job I had planned but I have done a few things:-

1. Balance transferred the remainder of my Aq*a balance onto my Halif*x card. I couldn't do this four months ago, so hopefully this means my credit score is on the up at long last.

2. I've made some celeriac and apple soup, which also used up some sad looking celery left over from the Christmas stuffing. We have three celeriac left, which need to be used up asap :o

3. I have an apple crumble in the oven, which brings the apple stash down to one bagful :rotfl:

4. I also have a chicken in the oven, which will hopefully leave us enough leftovers for a couple of lunches.

5. I dug out the Nutribullet this morning and we both had a "lovely" juice which also used up the last of the spinach.

6. Discovered how to confuse your OH in two easy steps. Be extra nice and cook all his favourite foods - he can't make up his mind if I'm after something or if he's done something wrong. Neither of which are true, I'm just in a good mood, full of positivity for a change :D

Things I still need to do:-

1. Three Eb*y items need to packaged up for posting tomorrow.
    2. Make sure work clothes are ready to go.

If I'm honest, I'm ready to go back to work, but I'll probably be screaming for the weekend by Thursday! I'm not looking forward to driving home from work in the dark. Journeys home were horrendous before Christmas through all that wind and rain, my little car gets blown all over the place. Thankfully, barring the odd fallen tree and roads closed, we managed to escape the worst of it here, but my thoughts are with those who weren't so lucky.

I haven't managed any surveys or comps yet, but I will have a go after tea :A

I hope everyone else is having a lovely Sunday x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family