Help please

so apparently my credit report sucks.
although let me explain to you this, I'm currently in the process of paying my highest bill which is about £400, I have another large default of £330 and a small one of £70, I have just currently paid off on of my bills that was sitting at about £68.
now, although my total default bill adds up to around £800, so why is it I can't get any type of credit what so ever, I cant get a phone contract I mean I cant get didly squat. where as other people I know have tens of thousands of debt can get cars on finance and whatever they please without even making an attempt to pay anything back.
I work full time and earn round about £250 per week and still live at home (I'm 22) so my outgoing payments are round about £90 a month so I keep a large portion of my wages.
My question is how do you get rid of credit checks on your file?? can you get rid of them??because I've heard that can put lenders off and I've applied for a lot of things (stupidly I didn't learn that, that can affect lenders views of your file before I did it).
As I say I'm in the process of paying off my defaults and hope to have them gone by June 2016 so I can work on getting a mortgage to get my own home. (I'm going for my bus drivers test in January so will be earning more by June to be able to afford a mortgage) I don't want to get to June, have everything paid off and still not be able to get anything to build my credit :/...

Replies

• sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    26.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi,
    You can't get rid of anything on your credit file, unless the information is incorrect.

Making numerous applications in a short while, to obtain credit, will of flagged you up to potential lenders, and already having defaults won't help either.
    Defaults stay on your file for six years, regardless of wether you pay them off or not, and it's unlikely further credit will be granted whilst they still show.

Why do you want further credit when you are already £800 in debt ?
    Ex MSE Board Guide.

More than a third of IVA`s fail....fact.
    Could A Debt Relief Order help you ?
    Never pay a fee for a Debt Management Plan.
    For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • lynnejklynnejk Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    I would suggest that you don't apply for any more credit at the moment.

On your stated earnings and outgoings, you should easily pay off your outstanding debts in the next three months.

If you want a phone then buy a cheap one and get a sim card.

Once you've paid your debts start throwing everything into a savings account and go from there.

Remember - you didn't get where you are in a day and it will take a little while to get to where you want to be.

Good luck with the new licence and getting back on track
    L
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • The last one I paid off has come off as a default and is now in a closed account section and marked as satisfied. I wasn't fully aware of the fact if you kept applying for credit in a short while would have any impact (stupidity on my part I know)
    I need to get a better (more reliable) car to be able to get back and forth from work, I end up saving up to buy a little £500 run around when the last one needs to go to the scrap yard but I'm unable to save just now with trying to pay everything off if you get me.
    I was hoping for finance on a car to last me a couple years, I can more than afford the finance on a small car but no one will give me finance so feeling kind of stuck in an infinite loop of not paying certain things in order to buy a car to be able to get to work to be able to pay other things :/
  • sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    26.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    rp933 wrote: »
    The last one I paid off has come off as a default and is now in a closed account section and marked as satisfied. I wasn't fully aware of the fact if you kept applying for credit in a short while would have any impact (stupidity on my part I know)
    I need to get a better (more reliable) car to be able to get back and forth from work, I end up saving up to buy a little £500 run around when the last one needs to go to the scrap yard but I'm unable to save just now with trying to pay everything off if you get me.
    I was hoping for finance on a car to last me a couple years, I can more than afford the finance on a small car but no one will give me finance so feeling kind of stuck in an infinite loop of not paying certain things in order to buy a car to be able to get to work to be able to pay other things :/

Most lenders require at least six months good credit history before they will lend to you.

Refrain from any further applications, pay your bills on time, get on the electoral role (if not on already) try again in six months.
    Ex MSE Board Guide.

More than a third of IVA`s fail....fact.
    Could A Debt Relief Order help you ?
    Never pay a fee for a Debt Management Plan.
    For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • I definitely will not be applying for further credit now I know what the consequences are, I've put it down to simple stupidity in my younger years, when I was 18 I took out phones and overdrafts like there was no tomorrow and didn't have a way to pay it back then, trying to get back on track now seems like a monumental task but your right it takes time to get to where I want to be :) thank you for your advice
  • the only problem with paying bills on time is I have no bills coming out my bank because I can't get anything to pay a bill for :') I only have my car insurance and car tax payments every month.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Glitch hits Nectar bonzana

Did you miss out on bonus points?

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals