Daughter with dad, 3 others with mum?

4 children stayed with mother but one child decides to move in with dad.

Dad doesnt work claims benefits.

Mum works school hours on just above mimimum wage.

Would this work out as he has to pay his £7 per week for the 3 with mum and she has to pay the going csa rate for one child out her wages? Or would the fact she has 3 others fulltime mitigate the circumstances?

For the above presume equal overnights.

It would be a new csa claim.

Thanks in advance for help, it just doesnt seem right that because she works she pays out over 4 times for one what he is due to pay for 3.

Comments

• He would pay £7 for the 3 and she would pay 12% of gross pay for 1. Discounts for overnight stays. Might not be fair but he earns less? How old is the child he has? He cant stay on benefits forever.
  • HoneyNutLoop
    HoneyNutLoop Posts: 568 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 December 2015 at 9:49AM
    She'll also get a reduction to her income for the 3 children that live with her (19% if earning less than £800 gross per week) before the 12% is applied.

If the dad is on one of certain types of benefit, such as JSA or ESA, and has overnight care of any of the 3 children living primarily with the mum for more than 52 nights per year, he will pay nothing. But the 52 nights minimum is per child, so the reduction won't apply if all 3 each stay with him 30 nights per year, but would if only one stayed with him for 60 nights per year.

For a rough calculation, if she's working 6 hours a day at £7 an hour, grossing approx. £210 a week, she would need to pay £20.41 a week for the child living with dad.

This gets reduced by 1/7th if the child in question stays overnight with her for between 52 and 103 nights per year, by 2/7ths for between 104 and 155 nights a year and 3/7's for between 156 and 174 nights per year. If she has overnight care for 175+ nights its classes as equal shared care and the amount is reduced by 50%, then reduced again by £7. (This is per child that equal shared care is awarded for).

If they equally share the care, both days, nights, financial obligations, etc, of all the children, there would be no case for either parent.
    I often use a tablet to post, so sometimes my posts will have random letters inserted, or entirely the wrong word if autocorrect is trying to wind me up. Hopefully you'll still know what I mean.
  • Thanks honeynutloop its hard to run the figures through online calculators given the circumstances of the family splitting. Its good to know there is a reduction for having the 3 live with her. Can you link me up to this on the csa website please?

Shoediva pretty sure his plan is to be on benefit for as long as he malingering can....

Thanks to all for input
  • I often use a tablet to post, so sometimes my posts will have random letters inserted, or entirely the wrong word if autocorrect is trying to wind me up. Hopefully you'll still know what I mean.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure