Does 'electrical boiler' cover exist?

Options
In my flat the heating system is all electric, no gas. Hence presumably what I have in the airing cupboard is not called a 'boiler' at all, but it is a big cylinder heated electrically somehow, with an electric timer panel. I rent the flat out, so it's not always convenient for me to be there when there is a problem, so I want insurance to give me and my tenants peace of mind, and to avoid the several days of calling round different companies every time something goes wrong with the hot water. The problem is, all companies I contact to do any repairs just do gas, they won't touch electric. And electricians wont touch water systems. So this afternoon I've spent hours trying to find insurance cover, but that's the same story, gas only. Even when I think I've found what I want, the small print confirms that I haven't, for example:

http://www.homeserve.com/insurance/landlords-complete-cover-for-electrical-heating-flats-flexi

...on the surface that looked ok, but the T&Cs say it doesn't cover immersion heaters or unvented hot water cylinders - I don't know much about heating systems, but I assume my system has both of those thing... :(

Can anyone suggest a suitable policy, or explain where I'm going wrong / what terminology I am perhaps misusing etc?

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You probably struggle to find policies because it's not something worth insuring.

A boiler system has the gas burner, ignition, boiler fan, pumps, electrically controlled valves - lots of stuff to go wrong, with the gas related stuff needing an approved/authorised tradesman to fix.

Electric hot water cylinder is quite simple - timer/controller and a heating element, so very little to go wrong. An electrician, or a multi skilled plumber should be able to look after the controller, element, thermostat.

I think you'd be better putting your premiums into a savings pot to draw on if you need them.
  • MisterBaxter
    Options
    Even if you could find a policy it probably wouldn't be cost effective for you to cover something like an immersion heater and at end of life when the tank does fail it is usually so catastrophic that it will fall outside the scope of such policies. If you have searched and not found anything then there probably isn't anything out there.

It may be better to invest a bit of time getting one or two trusted tradespeople on board who you know you can call on day or night to deal with repairs when you need them, you may also be able to get agreed rates with them to give you some certainty of cost when dealing with repairs.
  • scarletjim
    Options
    Thanks guys - the problem is, despite being so simple, it seems to go wrong so often (4 times in the last 2.5 years), and I don't know enough about it to understand why, nor do I know of a tradesperson eager for such work. Who do you call? Gas people only do gas boilers, and electricians don't touch water heating systems (well, 4 or 5 I spoke to 6 months ago said they didn't). The guy who last repaired it 6 months ago (I think he fitted a new immersion) always seems to be booked up 4-6 weeks in advance, so he can't really help, and I don't know who else to call. Maybe I'll ask friends on Facebook who they use... :/
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The people who sell and install them will probably have a list of local engineers.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You're right in assuming that Homeserve policy won't cover you, it only seems to cover simple storage heaters & panel heaters. Many years ago I worked for Creda who made systems like these, we didn't service them though! We used to refer customers to a company in Yorkshire but I can't remember the name, I don't suppose you are in Yorkshire?
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Insurance companies don't usually employ their own staff, they just cover the cost of the bill, so it will still be your job to find a workman anyway. I know what you mean about finding tradesmen though, it usually takes weeks.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    If it is an Unvented Hot Water system then you need an annual safety inspection to comply with Building Regulations. This, and all work on it, must be done by a plumber with an Unvented Hot Water qualification.

If it's a Thermal Store then the manufacturers may be able to recommend a local fitter/installation agent.

If other flats in the building have the same system then ask the neighbours who they recommend.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Find a spark, easy for him to change element,rod 'stat etc. (let him know the element has already been changed so its not a seized element he's coming to extract).
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport