We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Two meals in one slow cooker?

Lance_De_Boils
Lance_De_Boils Posts: 248 Forumite
edited 30 November 2015 at 1:43PM in Old style MoneySaving
I'm sure I have heard of people that cook more than one meal at a time when using their slow cooker. I mean that both meals go in the slow cooker.
I have a huge slows cooker and would like to try and cook a couple of meals in the same cooker.
Is that even possible?
If so, how?

Comments

  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Yes. People do it by putting some water in the SC, then putting the individual meals in sealed (roasting/SC) bags in the pot.... or using other cookware such as bowls/jugs.

    So, you just need to find two containers that are cookware-safe and that fit into the SC.

    You just have to be aware of cross-contamination. e.g. if you had two jugs and one had beef stew in it and the other one was a pudding .... you'd need to protect them so that any potential bubbling/spitting didn't end up landing on the other one... so clingfilm/lid/whatever ...
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I'm sure I have heard of people that cook more than one meal at a time when using their slow cooker. I mean that both meals go in the slow cooker.
    I have a huge slows cooker and would like to try and cook a couple of meals in the same cooker.
    Is that even possible?
    If so, how?

    Just get another slow cooker. I have two slow cookers. A big one for the main course and a smaller one costing about £10 for side dishes or it's just enough for a small main course.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Yes. People do it by putting some water in the SC, then putting the individual meals in sealed (roasting/SC) bags in the pot.... or using other cookware such as bowls/jugs.

    So, you just need to find two containers that are cookware-safe and that fit into the SC.

    You just have to be aware of cross-contamination. e.g. if you had two jugs and one had beef stew in it and the other one was a pudding .... you'd need to protect them so that any potential bubbling/spitting didn't end up landing on the other one... so clingfilm/lid/whatever ...


    Just what I was looking for, thank you so much.

    I am trying to save as much money/fuel as possible and didn't want to buy another slow cooker.
  • I have a large old fashioned Tefal slow cooker,I wrap a chicken in foil then wrap a piece of beef in foil,then pork and cook them all together,been doing it for the last 20 years with no problems.
  • I have a large old fashioned Tefal slow cooker,I wrap a chicken in foil then wrap a piece of beef in foil,then pork and cook them all together,been doing it for the last 20 years with no problems.

    What a good idea. Thank you for sharing.
  • Today I cooked a large amount of bolognese sauce in the slow cooker. I also put a joint of beef in a roasting bag and put it in at the same time.
    Both have turned out really nice and i have several meals from one slow cooker session.
    Thank you all for your suggestions.

    Wondering if roasting bags can be washed and used again.........
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.