We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Autumn Statement 2015: Hidden hike in student loan repayment a 'disgrace'

Options
Millions of graduates will have to repay more of their loans as the Government's U-turned on a promise it made...
Read the full story:

Autumn Statement 2015: Hidden retrospective hike in student loans repayments a 'disgrace'

OfficialStamp.gif


Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
«13456

Comments

  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I did contact my MP what a waste of time.

    I am disgusted by this government

    My son signed up to something that has now been changed, no company would be allowed to get away with this but it seems our government can do whatever they want

    What can we do now,

    Martin you have been very vocal about it but maybe not vocal enough?
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Why should the tax payer pay for someone else's job progressions. A loan should be repaid, or we will all end up paying for the jolly times that students have.
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,400 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    While I hate retroactive changes, this is 100% fair and won't impoverish (or whatever ridiculous hyperbole people are going to use) a single student.
    photome wrote: »
    I did contact my MP what a waste of time.

    I am disgusted by this government

    My son signed up to something that has now been changed, no company would be allowed to get away with this but it seems our government can do whatever they want

    What can we do now,

    Martin you have been very vocal about it but maybe not vocal enough?

    Would your son have refused to go to university if he knew this then?

    Martins been plenty vocal about it. He has no clout with the government and greedy students already hated them for increasing fees anyway - increasing repayments shouldn't make them any less popular so there was nothing stopping them.
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,336 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What does this mean at the end of the article...?
    "There's no change for existing graduates from today's move."

    ... so are we just talking about those who have started Uni but not yet graduated?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    anselld wrote: »
    What does this mean at the end of the article...?
    "There's no change for existing graduates from today's move."

    ... so are we just talking about those who have started Uni but not yet graduated?

    I just think it's a mistake, I can't see anything to suggest that the freeze won't apply to existing graduates.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    anselld wrote: »
    What does this mean at the end of the article...?
    "There's no change for existing graduates from today's move."

    ... so are we just talking about those who have started Uni but not yet graduated?
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I just think it's a mistake, I can't see anything to suggest that the freeze won't apply to existing graduates.

    It means 'pre-2012' (i.e. plan 1) graduates who currently repay at a threshold of £17335 on a different system. These graduates see no change. Post-2012 graduates generally will have graduated for the first time this year so are now 'existing' graduates so it is misleading although these graduates are not yet in repayment.
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    chanz4 wrote: »
    Why should the tax payer pay for someone else's job progressions. A loan should be repaid, or we will all end up paying for the jolly times that students have.

    It isn't just selfish progression. The idea is that having an educated society will help the economy and pay for your pension. If university helps somebody get a higher paying job, they will pay large amounts of tax.

    And even if nobody pays the loans back, then these graduates with all their "taxpayer-funded jollies" will be taxpayers that are funding somebody else's jollies.
  • patanne
    patanne Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    Options
    I said on the original thread that I would name & shame my MP for lack of response about this. Obviously he is a conservative MP. David Nuttall. He actually is so busy toeing the party line that he doesn't seem to have any!
  • dizzie
    dizzie Posts: 390 Forumite
    edited 26 November 2015 at 12:51AM
    Options
    callum9999 wrote: »
    While I hate retroactive changes, this is 100% fair and won't impoverish (or whatever ridiculous hyperbole people are going to use) a single student.



    Would your son have refused to go to university if he knew this then?

    Martins been plenty vocal about it. He has no clout with the government and greedy students already hated them for increasing fees anyway - increasing repayments shouldn't make them any less popular so there was nothing stopping them.

    Ha ha, so it would be 100% fair for the bank to change the terms of your mortgage loan would it? And what will stop them from making more retroactive changes? Hiking interest rates, extending the period of the loan? Freezing the threshold further?

    ....You do talk a load of old codswallop.

    And do you know what? Yes, people may have decided not to study here in the UK. I for one have one son who did just that because he wasn't happy with what was on offer. And that was even before this disgraceful retroactive move that this bunch of con-merchants couldn't bring themselves to state openly in today's Autumn statement!
  • dizzie
    dizzie Posts: 390 Forumite
    Options
    patanne wrote: »
    I said on the original thread that I would name & shame my MP for lack of response about this. Obviously he is a conservative MP. David Nuttall. He actually is so busy toeing the party line that he doesn't seem to have any!

    Same here: my MP is Julian Smith (Conservative). He seems to be more concerned about his own career progression, hence the reason for pressing "print" to spew out some Tory soundbites, without actually answering the question posed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards