We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Council Tax Debt

Options
13»

Comments

• Herbie21
    Herbie21 Posts: 562 Forumite
    Options
    Fergie76 wrote: »
    By all accounts this website is very good for dealing with Bailiffs - http://bailiffadviceonline.co.uk/

I think it costs about £10 for advice, but by all accounts is more than worth it. I have never used the site, but it is recommended on the parking forum for people dealing with Bailiffs and the person that runs the site also sometimes posts on the parking forum.

Thank you for your kind words. They are very much appreciated.

Just so that you know, it is over a year ago that we stopped charging for advice. Anyone can send a question to us using our popular question page. There is no fee to pay.

http://bailiffadviceonline.co.uk/contact-bailiff-advice/send-a-question-to-bailiff-advice

Bailiff Advice Online
  • Karonher
    Karonher Posts: 924 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    [QUOTE=_No_mention_of_the_exemption_or_the_car's_value._Have_moved_the_car_away_from_the_house_until_this_is_settled.[/QUOTE]

Hi - I am far from an expert on this but does the form you have been given have this wording on it?

WARNNG"Notice after entry or taking control of goods (on a highway) and inventory of goods taken into control If you intentionally interfere with (for example dispose of or remove) controlled goods without a lawful Warning excuse, you will be committing an offence and risk a fine or imprisonment. Please read this notice it is important Name of Debtor Address Date notice issued / / Enforcement agent reference..."

If so it may be best to seek advice regarding the fact you have removed the car rather than are just using it if that is in fact what you have done.
    Aiming to make £7,500 online in 2022
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Karonher wrote: »
    Hi - I am far from an expert on this but does the form you have been given have this wording on it?

WARNNG"Notice after entry or taking control of goods (on a highway) and inventory of goods taken into control If you intentionally interfere with (for example dispose of or remove) controlled goods without a lawful Warning excuse, you will be committing an offence and risk a fine or imprisonment. Please read this notice it is important Name of Debtor Address Date notice issued / / Enforcement agent reference..."

If so it may be best to seek advice regarding the fact you have removed the car rather than are just using it if that is in fact what you have done.

It's a good point but the OP hasn’t signed the controlled goods agreement, and the car is also exempt, so it hasn’t been taken into control.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Karonher
    Options
    Thanks James - I was using the information below and it did not mention both parties signing, just the bailiff.

Just out of interest - what happens if the other party refuses to sign?

Checking a notice after entry or taking control of goods on a highway

The notice after entry or taking control of goods must:

contain all the information shown below
    be signed by the bailiff
    include enough information to allow you to correctly identify every item that the bailiff has taken into control - this may take the form of a separate inventory.

If you’re dealing with bailiff action that began before 6 April 2014, different rules may apply. You should get advice from your local Citizens Advice Bureau.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Karonher wrote: »
    Thanks James - I was using the information below and it did not mention both parties signing, just the bailiff.

Just out of interest - what happens if the other party refuses to sign?

If the other party (the debtor or other authorised person) refuses to sign a controlled goods agreement it isn’t correctly executed, so isn’t valid. It’s covered here:

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/1894/regulation/15/made

In that case the bailiff would have other options to take goods into control such as removing the items to a safe storage area there and then, or in the case of a car clamping it.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Karonher
    Options
    Thanks James
  • Smart_Mart
    Smart_Mart Posts: 1,371 Forumite
    Options
    Hi and sorry for the lack of updates.

I still have the car; it was never removed and put in storage, so to speak. I was still using it for work and just parking it elsewhere at night, which I often had to do anyway through lack of parking on my usual street.

I spoke to Bailiff Advice Online who were brilliant and advised me what to write and, more importantly, how to write it in a non-aggravatory manner. Initially, Rundles seemed to ignore it but once it became evident that I was getting advice from someone who knew what they were talking about, things changed.

Rundles now want me to fill in an I & E form and send a copy to them and the council. In the meantime, they are accepting my offer of £50 a month. I have explained in great depth why my car is exempt but as yet, have had nothing in writing confirming it from the bailiffs.
  • Smart_Mart
    Smart_Mart Posts: 1,371 Forumite
    Options
    Smart_Mart wrote: »
    Hi and sorry for the lack of updates.

I still have the car; it was never removed and put in storage, so to speak. I was still using it for work and just parking it elsewhere at night, which I often had to do anyway through lack of parking on my usual street.

I spoke to Bailiff Advice Online who were brilliant and advised me what to write and, more importantly, how to write it in a non-aggravatory manner. Initially, Rundles seemed to ignore it but once it became evident that I was getting advice from someone who knew what they were talking about, things changed.

Rundles now want me to fill in an I & E form and send a copy to them and the council. In the meantime, they are accepting my offer of £50 a month. I have explained in great depth why my car is exempt but as yet, have had nothing in writing confirming it from the bailiffs.

Just an update. Had trouble keeping to the £50 a month arrangement then had more visits from Rundles. Explained calmly and methodically why I couldn't continue with agreeing to pay more than I can afford as we just go around in circles.

Three days later, Rundles sent me a letter saying they'd passed it back to the council and they would want me to fill in an I & E form. I did so, and they've accepted a lot lower amount now, one that I can afford. It pays to be strong, if you can, and deal with them in a professional manner... something that was stressed to me with my phone call to Bailiff Advice Online.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport