Megabus Pricing newcastle on tyne

Options
I go to london 2/3 times a year early december /Jan and have been lucky enough to get reasonable pricing for last 3 years £8/10 and even once the famed £1 each way.
Now even looking out as far as 10 Jan pricing is coming in at £35 one way.
Spoke to Megabus thinking computer error but advised "these prices are correct".
Anybody else with same problem.
Nat express from £7 so guess who gets the business

Comments

• The_ICT_Engineer
    Options
    Supply and demand. The early bird catches the cheap fare. Book as soon as the date is released at midnight.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It could be that megabuses £1 advertising has been effectively and people flock to that site without checking the options and hence push the prices up.
  • The_Groat_Counter
    Options
    I've just had a look from mid-December and yes the fares do seem to be on the high side. However they drop in the first week of January, and from Wednesday 6 January onwards there are fares in the single digits (i.e. £5, £6 etc).

Maybe there's some glitch on the Megabus system, else they decided to ramp up fares over the festive season.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No glitch; the demand is much higher with pre and post Christmas travel, so prices are much higher. Once everyone goes back to work then demand is flat, so prices fall after 6/1.
    The coach and train companies are learning to do what the budget airlines managed years ago when they first introduced dynamic pricing.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • geoffken
    geoffken Posts: 352 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for replies and indeed supply and demand but I have been doing these journey(s) for 10 years and have never seen that high before.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Was fueland staff wages the same price 10 years ago? Just wondering!
  • geoffken
    Options
    Well i got the £1 deals twice last year so they were happy to price it then and I guess fuel has come down 30% since then but as we know it is their decision.
    Thanks for input everyone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport