🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Clothes

Options
Hi all, hopefully this is the right part of the forum to ask this.

I've been made redundant and need to get a new job. I haven't been for an interview for 15 years and need help with clothes for such an occasion. Is it still the norm to wear a trouser or skirt suit? I need to go shopping as I don't have anything suitable to wear. All I have is jeans/fleeces and ball gowns :eek:

Any hints, tips and ideas most welcome.

Comments

• cazs
    cazs Posts: 532 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, a suit and shirt is pretty standard. Or you could wear a nice skirt/trousers with pretty blouse. As long as it's smart. But suit is probably safest bet.
    Next is good for suits although I'd say pricey when not in the sale. Also H&M, many of their suits are skinny style though.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How about TK maxx for a smart jacket, trousers, skirt and a few tops?

They don't have to be identical.,just toning.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • indiepanda
    Options
    Dresses are quite popular in offices these days, maybe a smart dress and jacket - doesn't have to be same fabric. I mainly wear jersey dresses with jackets, and the nice thing about those is they can be worn outside the office for non work events in a way that I wouldn't use a skirt suit.
  • ravilious_fan
    Options
    trolleyrun wrote: »
    Hi all, hopefully this is the right part of the forum to ask this.

I've been made redundant and need to get a new job. I haven't been for an interview for 15 years and need help with clothes for such an occasion. Is it still the norm to wear a trouser or skirt suit? I need to go shopping as I don't have anything suitable to wear. All I have is jeans/fleeces and ball gowns :eek:

Any hints, tips and ideas most welcome.

What sort of work are you applying for? I am guessing it wouldn't be office work if you don't have office clothes already, from your last job?
    sealed pot challenge 9 #004
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Depends on the industry. In my industry I go to interviews in a jeans and a t-shirt and got the job. Either that or a dress.

I never wore a suit to an interview for retail, just smart trousers and shirt/blouse/smart top.

Dress for the industry, if it's a pound shop turning up in a full suit might be overdoing it and might make you feel awkward, but if it's office work a suit would work. When I first started in my industry I felt very awkward in my interview clothes because everyone was so casual, it distracted me from the actual interview itself. Where what you feel comfortable in that's smart.
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Again, unless you're going for a strictly corporate job - Black trousers, a plain (solid colour, white or grey) top, and a dark/black jacket

Don't go for lots of makeup or jewellery - I tie my hair back, just wear a watch and silver studs, a tinted moisturiser, but no base/blush/lippy.

You don't want anything that distracts from your examples.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • trolleyrun
    trolleyrun Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all. I've been wearing a uniform for the last 15 years so I didn't have to think about what to wear. I'm applying for any kind of job that seems interesting and that I feel I'm competent to do (I have no academic qualifications apart from college over 2 decades ago).

It's a scary world out there but I'll hopefully find something soon. I'll go get some smart trousers, a skirt and some nice suitable tops. I found a jacket hidden in the back of the wardrobe, hopefully that'll be ok.
  • shandyclover
    Options
    I recently moved from catering (where I had a uniform) to retail. I went to several interviews, I mainly combined smart trousers with a smart blouse or top, and a jacket, all picked up from charity shops, minimal jewelry (just because I could finally wear jewelry again, not allowed to in catering) and very light make up. Don't be afraid to wear something that shows a bit of your personality - obviously don't go over the top but sometimes something that sets you apart and shows you are interesting helps. If you can visit the prospective place of work before the interview, such as if it is a retail unit, you can get an idea of what the staff members normally wear and adjust your interview wear accordingly.
    No buying unnecessary toiletries 2014. Epiphany on 4/4/14 - went into shop to buy 2 items, walked out with 17!

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 November 2015 at 9:40AM
    Options
    It might be worth a scoot round the charity shops - I got a hardly worn Next jacket for a fiver that I used for interview.
    Depending on your size, I also wear school uniform trousers in grey or black as work wear.
    Main thing is to feel comfortable while looking smart. If you're fidgeting because the clothes don't sit right on you, it won't help.
    Good luck the the job hunting.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • indsty
    indsty Posts: 372 Forumite
    Options
    Plain dark skirt (knee length) or black trousers (not tight ones) and a white or pale colour blouse. Check the charity shops if money is tight. Low heeled shoes. Otherwise clean and tidy, minimal make up. That should do you whatever work environment you are interviewing for. Good luck in your job hunt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport