Is it worth getting a second job?

Options
Hi atm I'm in a trainee position (6m contract) on NMW. There is a strong chance of being able to be taken on in a different role in Feb, and been told this several times by managers.

However, I've been thinking about a second job. I currently work full time 30 hours m-f. I'd like a bit more money so would this be possible?

My only problem is that I'm a single parent so would need to look into childminder etc. What do you think?
Up and onwards to the future!

:j

Comments

• Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Most likey not if you have a child because the childcare costs would outweigh the money you'd make. If you are on NWM why not have a look if you can get a better job rather then increasing the hours?
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • cambermam
    Options
    Have you checked you're getting everything you're entitled to?
    For example do tax credits know you work 30 hours? As I think they give you an extra amount for that. Do you rent? Are you getting any housing benefit?

Weigh up the cost of childcare with the amount your tax credits would increase/decrease by. They would take some off you for you earning more, but they would also cover some of the childcare costs. There are calculators online for all that.

Also, take into account that you'd have to tell HMRC to split your tax code so you didn't get taxed fully on the 2nd job wages, and sometimes they take their time in sorting it.
    Internet earnings:
    Swagbucks - £748
    InstaGC -£73
    Nielsen Mobile - £70
    Mobile Trends - £19.50
    iPoll - £15
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income