🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Knee Ligaments

Options
I have an over-extended knee joint - which basically prevents me from walking
It is getting worse (extremely painful)
I saw the consultant, yesterday - who wants to (after an MRI) - tighten up the ligaments on my knee !! rather than replace the joint
Has anyone had this op done ?
Was it successful ?

Comments

• welshdent
    welshdent Posts: 1,991 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tried physio to strengthen the muscles? I was told I needed my meniscus removed 5 years ago. Regular exercise and strengthening the muscles around my knee means I am running 10K obstacle and standard races every few weeks with few problems
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 November 2015 at 3:12PM
    Options
    Yes - I have had Physio, weekly for 18 months - with no improvement
    What did they actually do in your case ?
    I believe that my knee needs a full replacement ........
    Which worries me - a lot !
    I am a wimp where pain is concerned and the thought of my leg being separated and rejoined with a plastic joint - terrifies me !!
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've not had a knee replacement but was told I am on my way to one if I'm not careful due to my basicly wearing out my knees through over-exercising and walking too much. (I have/had an exercise obsession).

I was also told that for knee replacements, they are generally discouraged because the chances of them improving the knees of those who have them are around 50/50. Meaning you could go from pain to being unable to walk again, the chances are equal AND they would need to be replaced again not so long afterwards.

For that reason, I was given help for improving how I exercised/what I did to prevent things getting as bad as they were heading, the idea of a knee replacement was that much of a risk to my ability to walk. I don't like to think there is a post-code lottery in terms of treatment, but I am in London, I would have thought the treatment here for things like this would be pretty decent (even if the waiting list is very very very long!) and that the concerns over things not going well would be not as high as with a hospital who maybe had fewer staff and there being quite a few experts treating and teaching and the university hospitals in London. Yet I am told by a well experienced consultant to avoid a knee replacement because there is a strong chance I would end up unable to walk. 50% is a strong chance. I would agree with this.

OP, I would take whatever is suggested and try this first. The knee replacement, if it needs to be done and cannot be avoided will still be there as an option if all else fails. But I'd try everything else first if there is a chance it will mean you can avoid the replacement; a replacement isn't a case of job-done and you're good to go now, it will need to be replaced again and again, and each time comes with the same risks. Pain can be managed; through medication, through physio, through exercise, even through CBT, but it's a whole lot better than being unable to walk; coming back from that is I would say, an emotional pain which could be harder to get your head around.
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    I was hoping to find someone via this forum who has actually had ligaments tightened ...
    How was this achieved and was it successful ?
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,351 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a friend who had knee ligament surgery. I don't know the details, but she is very active, sometimes with a knee brace on.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    I have a friend who had knee ligament surgery. I don't know the details, but she is very active, sometimes with a knee brace on.
    I have a brace too - it helps me stay mobile but digs in to.my calf
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family